Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've finally decided to get a GSD pup and if all things go smoothly, I'll be picking her up within the next few days. Anyways, we plan on keeping the dog outside, however winters can get quite cold where I live being winter here. (Average temps are 6 degrees C at night and 14 C during the day).

Is this too cold to keep an 8 week old pup outside? We will buy a decent sized kennel for the pup as shelter of course. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
No 8 week puppy should be left outside in the cold OR heat... At that age they are less able to regulate their body temperatures. Besides this, leaving a pup unattended anywhere allows him to get into all kinds of dangerous situations including theft, poisoning, escape etc.

To say nothing of the disastrous effects it would have on the dog's mental health.

I strongly suggest you reconsider this decision.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No 8 week puppy should be left outside in the cold OR heat... At that age they are less able to regulate their body temperatures. Besides this, leaving a pup unattended anywhere allows him to get into all kinds of dangerous situations including theft, poisoning, escape etc.

To say nothing of the disastrous effects it would have on the dog's mental health.

I strongly suggest you reconsider this decision.
Duly noted. How old would you say the dog would need to be before they can be safely left outside?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I think you can leave an 8 week old outside in a safely secured yard for a few minutes at a time- maybe even an hour or two IF you have no nearby neighbors.

if you mean live outside? Pretty much never. GSDs are super-social with THEIR people and unless their 'outside living situation' is something like a kennel rather than a crate in the house and they work all day with people? It's just not fair to the dog.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
If you are speaking of the dog going outside for pottying and playing in the cold, the dog will be fine but I have a feeling you're referring to leaving the dog outside either all the time or while you're at work. In a word, WRONG.
If you can't leave the dog inside when you work or you plan to have the dog outside all the time, get a stuffed animal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you can leave an 8 week old outside in a safely secured yard for a few minutes at a time- maybe even an hour or two IF you have no nearby neighbors.

if you mean live outside? Pretty much never. GSDs are super-social with THEIR people and unless their 'outside living situation' is something like a kennel rather than a crate in the house and they work all day with people? It's just not fair to the dog.
I see. So the GSD is best suited indoors then... No big dramas. Will have to spend a whole day re-organising the house though. A lot of stuff lying on the ground that's going to be potential hazards to the pup. Thanks for your advice guys. I apologise if my questions seemed stupid, I have zero experience and I just want to get everything right before the pup comes home and make minimal idiotic mistakes around the puppy. Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I'm not responding to anyone in particular here but we once had neighbors that had the best set up for their two dogs. They had a heated garage that was blocked off with kenneling so the dogs could use half the garage...they had a doggie door in the garage going out into a good sized kennel. It was the best of both worlds, the dogs were warm in the winter but had access to the outside.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I wouldn't leave any dog outside in 3 degree weather, well maybe if I lived in Alaska and had a team of sled dogs... Some type of warmer shelter would do though.

I have no problem leaving a dog outside while I go to work, some prefer it. Certainly less boring than being cooped up in a house all day alone. But not without adequate shelter from the weather and good fencing.

I have a GSD, not a puppy though, she stays inside but I may start leaving her out at some point I think she might be happier outside when I'm at work, I have a fairly large fenced yard though, with a large back patio that has a roof and screened walls for shade (gets real hot here) and a pool. If I had a dog door I think she would stay outside all day by choice.

When I'm home is a different story, a GSD will want to be where you are, all the time, think velcro dog.. At least with mine it would be cruel to make her stay outside when I am home.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Duly noted. How old would you say the dog would need to be before they can be safely left outside?
When the dog is 27 years old, she/he can be left outdoors all the time.

Seriously.. this is a social breed of dog. You need to crate train (to help withhouse breaking) and train and socilaize your dog. This means going to puppy classes and at least Obedience 1 so you have a well behaved dog. It means taking the dog with you places so she/he gets used to all sorts of things and is not afraid.

It means regularly taking your dog to the vet for shots and worming (don't forget to bring the stool sample for testing).

They need to be mentally stimulated (you can teach this breed anything) and they need exercise.. lots of it. I walk mine 3-4 miles a day.

Don't let your dog grow up and get fat. My vet told me for every 5 pounds extra this breed carries, you shorten the dog's life by 6 months.

A couple of books you should get:
"Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Dog Training" (Pamela Dennison)
"Really Reliable Recall" (www.dogwise.com)
"The Other End of the Leash" (Patricia McConnell, PhD)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Will have to spend a whole day re-organising the house though. A lot of stuff lying on the ground that's going to be potential hazards to the pup.
Please read about crates and get your puppy crate trained. Then you don't have to reorganize the house. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This is a pretty thorough site for crate training.

Crate Training

If you get a large crate, make sure you use a box inside it or something to make the space the puppy inhabits just big enough for him to stand, turn around and lie down. This will lower the chances of him soiling his crate (which you NEVER want to happen).

More Crate Training Info

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
like everyone else has said German Shepherd Dogs are a very social breed. To leave a GSD outside all the time, with little human companionship is asking for a mentaly deranged dog that could easily develope aggression issues.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
If I left Strauss outside all the time, he'd become a menace x.x

Socialization is HIGHLY important for this breed, and the require a TON of interaction, mental stimulation, and physical ways to burn off energy. They are not the breed for everyone, and I ALWAYS get concerned when someone announces they're getting a new GSD puppy, because it's so easy to get one from a crappy breeder x.x

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I ALWAYS get concerned when someone announces they're getting a new GSD puppy, because it's so easy to get one from a crappy breeder x.x
This is my concern. I know my breeder asked what the dogs' living condition would be... If I had said they were going to live outside, she wouldn't have sold them to me...

There are very few breeds that I would approve of living outside, away from the family.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Livestock Guardians.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Alright, you've got me there. Wasn't even thinking them.:rolleyes:

But, even they like to be around their livestock. Not alone.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts