Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally speaking, I mean. Sometimes I swear you could set your watch by my dog's stomach. Other times the duration between events... whether it has been five hours or five minutes that has passed... I don't know that he couldn't tell a difference.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Yeah, when it comes to food - he's on top of it. Late with dinner? He'll let me know. I'm busy and can't get it right now? I'll hear him whine and moan and high-pitched bark at me until I do.

I'm not sure about anything else, though they seem to have some kind of "timing" or something.

For example, if I click him 5 seconds of eye contact and then start walking again, do that 10 times, then if I do it the 11th time - when I get to "5" (in my head, of course) he started to break and move - only to realize I hadn't gone anywhere yet.

It's pretty interesting how they sense things like this.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
If I come home at my normal arriving time, Elsa's right where I expect her - itting on her mat wag'n her stubby butt, often with a ROO ROO. If I come home 30 minutes earlier or sooner, Elsa's right where I thought she would be - napping on the couch and waking up with a look on face as if I ruined a good thing.

I'd say her sense of time is pretty darn good.

Plus, how else would I explain why she's staring at me as I reach for the alarm clock buzzer in the morning?

·
Registered
291 Posts
i know i havn't used an alarm clock at all since i got my dog. when she was little she would wine in the mornings..but i wouldn't let her out of her crate untill 7:30....now she sleeps in my bed with me..and doesn't bother me at all..except for at 7:30 every morning she starts licking my face and pushing me out of bed :p

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
My dogs' sense of time is pretty darn good . . .when I'm running late leaving for work, I realize the dogs have gone to bed! Oh oh, better get my rear in gear! They seem to also know when it's the weekend, because they don't do this - thought it was because of routine, so, pretended I was going to work by doing the same things I do when I am going to work. Didn't fly. They continued to lounge on the sofa or loveseat. They knew it was Saturday, and that I wasn't going anywhere! LOL

What still remains a mystery is HOW the devil they know it's the pizza delivery guy pulling up! (They're all sitting in front of the door with butts wiggling.)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Our family had a Maltese years ago who, when let out for a special "out front walk" on his own at night could be told to come back in 15 minutes, 5 minutes, etc. and he never missed the time given by more than a minute max. No one's ever figured out how he did it but I suspect he had a Rolex hidden under his hair. LOL

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Donatello is getting better and better at sensing time.

I've put him on a new schedule now: Every day at 2:00 or just a little after I feed him. Yesterday he had to go out, so I took him out, I brought him back in, placed him on the sofa and got up to get a snack... Well... He sat up and kept staring at me ears perked. I kept watching him as I was making my snack... He was watching me too. I couldn't figure out what it was... Until I looked at the clock. 2:10. lol! I said, "Ooh, that's what you want." and coincidentally he wagged his tail, as if to say, "Duh!" lol! So I made him a bowl of food. : P

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mabel knows the difference between:

"one minute" which means "not right now, but real soon";

and "later" which means "at some point in the future, but not real soon."

Each comment has it own verbal cue (obviously "one minute" and "later") and it's corresponding hand signal...along with any other body language she's picking up on that I don't even notice.

Does this mean she senses time? I don't know. I've heard before that a dog doesn't know if you're gone for ten minutes or three hours. The old "lives in the moment" thing.

I don't think that a dog's sense of routine (we wake at this hour, we eat at this hour) means it has a sense of time...it just has a sense of routine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts