Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group,

My puppy trainer said to use ALUM spice to keep my dog from eating my baby trees and plants in the back yard. My question is; who has used this method? How do you apply the powered spice? Has it worked, if not what method has worked for you?

Thanks

Maddies Mom

·
Banned
785 Posts
I have never used alum on plants but I've used it on door jams, doors, wall molding, table and chair legs, etc. Get a small amount of it, say a tablespoon. Mix a couple of drops of water with it to make a paste. Spread the paste on the area your dog has been chewing. The dog will chew it one time and never again. I usually leave it on a few weeks just to make sure then wash it off.

It makes an ugly dry crumbly crust when dry but you don't leave it on but a few weeks, so you don't have to look at it forever.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You can also try clove oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never used alum on plants but I've used it on door jams, doors, wall molding, table and chair legs, etc. Get a small amount of it, say a tablespoon. Mix a couple of drops of water with it to make a paste. Spread the paste on the area your dog has been chewing. The dog will chew it one time and never again. I usually leave it on a few weeks just to make sure then wash it off.

It makes an ugly dry crumbly crust when dry but you don't leave it on but a few weeks, so you don't have to look at it forever.
Thank you so much RawFedDogs...your suggestions worked! Have you found any damage on the wood if you leave it on too long? Looks funny with the white stuff on the furniture, but it looks much better than all the chew marks! I appreciate your reply.
Maddies Mom

·
Banned
785 Posts
Thank you so much RawFedDogs...your suggestions worked!
Of course it did. I told you it would. :)

Have you found any damage on the wood if you leave it on too long?
No

Looks funny with the white stuff on the furniture, but it looks much better than all the chew marks!
Yeah, it looks pretty crappy but it's only temporary whereas tooth marks are pretty perminent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts