Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a great little chihuahua that does well using a piddle pad in the bathroom. Some years ago she started holding her pee for way too long, so Mom started throwing her toy back to the bathroom to see if she would go. It tended to work, but now the problem is that Mom's been doing that for so long now she's become too trained and is highly finicky about going. I wonder if a local dog trainer could give advice on something like this? Maybe an in-house observation would be helpful.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd start from the beginning by toilet training her to go outside like you would if she was a new puppy. Start by moving the pee pad closer to the door every day, until the pee pad is outside on the lawn, or wherever your mum wants her to go.

Take her out regularly and praise, praise, praise and give her a treat every time she goes outside.

Can i ask why she was trained to go to the toilet inside??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, going on the pad works out well because mom is older and lives in a building where getting outside is sort of an effort. Compared to going outside using the pad is really the better option.

The problem is that she doesn't go to bathroom (literally, where the pad is) unless she goes through this toy throwing ritual with mom. First and only time we kept her at a local kennel she didn't go for something like 60 hours until we got her back home in her normal environment. I guess you could describe her as severely retentive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Perhaps something frightened her in there, and now she is dubious to go back to that space. Has she tried moving the pee pad to another part of the house?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would lean more toward that she's just a tempermental and habitual animal rather than having been frightened, but that could be a possibility. Mom is a regimented and helicoptery kind of care taker so my best guess is that she over trained her without realizing it.

But the idea of moving the pad is certainly interesting. We would probably set up a second pad just to keep her original option open. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts