Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 year old beagle mix that recently discovered that she can climb up on top of the couch, which is up against the main window in our living room, and look out. She perches in the window whenever we aren't around, whether we're out or just in the other room. I always make her get down the moment I see her and strongly discourage her from climbing on top of the couch but that does nothing.

It wouldn't be a major issue if it didn't result in her getting hair all over the couch and curtains, as well as stretching and ruffling the curtains so that they look unattractive both inside and outside.

I'm curious to see what we can do to discourage her from this behavior...she has always been allowed on the couch, but never on top. This behavior is completely new since we moved into our new house and she discovered that she could do this.

We do not have the option of moving the couch to another part of the room as it is a large sectional and the living room is relatively small. Likewise, we cannot pull it away from the wall as it will significantly impact how the room is laid out. "

Is there any type of harmless deterrent we can use? I've been told to try Bitter Apple but she's not licking anything so I don't know how effective that will be.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Block the view out the window maybe with frosted window film?
Keep her out of the room unless family is in there maybe with a gate?
Put a throw over the top of the sectional to catch the hair?
Lay plastic runner with nubs facing up on top?

Before I discovered slipcovers I tried all sorts of things. Seeing how happy my dog was on the furniture I relented. She could curl up in the tiniest ball if it meant she was on the sofa or chair. Current dogs are allowed on furniture but they go where ever the down blankie is. If it's on my lap there they be. If it's on the sofa that's where they are. Should see if putting it on the floor works. Just might.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i would suck it up and let her do her job she is just looking out for her home i would never begrudge my dog a lookout spot. I would get different curtains the won't get screwed up as far has the hair goes dogs shed i assume you knew that when you got one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Block the view out the window maybe with frosted window film?
Keep her out of the room unless family is in there maybe with a gate?
Put a throw over the top of the sectional to catch the hair?
Lay plastic runner with nubs facing up on top?

Before I discovered slipcovers I tried all sorts of things. Seeing how happy my dog was on the furniture I relented. She could curl up in the tiniest ball if it meant she was on the sofa or chair. Current dogs are allowed on furniture but they go where ever the down blankie is. If it's on my lap there they be. If it's on the sofa that's where they are. Should see if putting it on the floor works. Just might.
Thanks Kathyy - unfortunately I cannot frost the windows as the house is rented and we aren't permitted to make major modifications like that. For now, we have put cheap but nice and comfortable throw blankets on the top of the couch to catch the hair. Solves that problem, but not the issue at hand with her trampling the curtains and pulling/stretching them as she forces her way through them.

We allow her on the furniture otherwise...she's ridiculously cuddly so we're happy to have her with us wherever we are.

i would suck it up and let her do her job she is just looking out for her home i would never begrudge my dog a lookout spot. I would get different curtains the won't get screwed up as far has the hair goes dogs shed i assume you knew that when you got one
I appreciate your response, but I know dogs shed. I didn't come here to be patronized.

It wouldn't be a major issue if she didn't accidentally pull and tear at the blinds while she made her way up there. We leave them closed because of how the house sits on the street - if we keep them open the whole world can see our business, and the sun hits the window directly, making the room incredibly hot even in colder months. The curtains are there to mitigate the heat, but she winds up baking herself in the sun while she sits up there, and in stereotypical "dumb beagle" fashion she never thinks to leave the spot no matter how overheated she gets. I heard her panting rapidly the other day and had to pull her off to make her drink water. She's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I'm been looking into other curtains as you suggested, shorter ones that would be easier for her to push aside when she wants to go up there, but the window is large and we've had a bit of a tough time finding a set that meets the need for privacy and heat mitigation. Hopefully we'll discover a set soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought peel and stick frosted sheets for my windows they are just clings that u can take on and off anytime doesn't leave any marks or residue at all
When I had my Great Dane she would stand there barking and ripping into the blinds every time another dog walked by so I bought them to frost the bottom half of the window worked pretty well might be worth a try I think paid $30 to buy for one larger window? But I bought a design u can get just frosted for cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Be sure it's 'static cling'. There is a cheaper kind that actually does have glue on it. I bought static cling long ago that ended up not working for me after a couple months. Came off nice and clean.

Perhaps you can raise the blinds enough to keep them away from her and give her a spot to bake? If there is window film then nobody can see inside or that the blinds look weird.

First dog Sassy baked in the sun too. We would come home from a long early morning walk with the temperature now up to 85*F and she'd go relax on the sunny patio. Silly pooch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts