Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to this forum, but was hoping maybe someone here could help me out with some info. I have 2 awesome little bassets (bert and wilson) that are pushing 9 months old and I think they are about ready to start training to hunt and track. They both know the basics of no, sit, stay(sorta, as long as food isn't involved lol) and come. Well, to be honest the oldest (wilson) is eager to please and comes all the time, the youngest is tyical basset and stubborn as hell. he comes when its in his best interest. both are tracking things on walks, mainly garbage cans and food. How do i get them from here, to tracking rabbits and hunting while still being the house pets that they are, 'cause we love them either way. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hi all. I'm new to this forum, but was hoping maybe someone here could help me out with some info. I have 2 awesome little bassets (bert and wilson) that are pushing 9 months old and I think they are about ready to start training to hunt and track. They both know the basics of no, sit, stay(sorta, as long as food isn't involved lol) and come. Well, to be honest the oldest (wilson) is eager to please and comes all the time, the youngest is tyical basset and stubborn as hell. he comes when its in his best interest. both are tracking things on walks, mainly garbage cans and food. How do i get them from here, to tracking rabbits and hunting while still being the house pets that they are, 'cause we love them either way. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bassetdad ,
I own 10 hunting dogs , 7 Redbones,1 Boxhound and 2 Setter/mix. The two Setter/mix are companion family dogs. Out of the remaining 8 Hounds ther are five real hard core hunters and of this group of five there are two outstanding Redbone Coonhounds. It is just about impossible to get them off a sent once the hunt drive is on. Sooo , now comes the last but very very important come command or what ever word you use to get your dogs back. You must have a very solid recall. In addition to recall, the sit , down , stay and no commands are all you need for hunting dogs.

To start with the relationship with a hunting dog must be friendly, caring and firm. There must be training and fun time when you let them be dogs. Mostly ,don't ever think that your dog is not paying attention to you with every day life and how you handle your relationship with both dogs.

You will need to work with the young dog first and get his training on basics in good form first. As for the hunt/track training much of that will be natural and you will need to evaluate each separately.
If all you want is casual family pet hunting,tracking that just takes time and patience plus you will need to be very consistent. For now work on basics and let them run and see what they do naturally in an area that is fairly clean and open with no heavy brush to avoid snakes with warm weather.

The serious sent training will come later, working with one dog at a time using the animal ( Rabbit ) you wish to train for.

If you want serious hard core training methods you will prolly need to pm or email me as this can get a little raw for a non hunting DF.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I've been working the basic commands with them but they need some work, so I'm going to keep up with that. They do track things through the yard, i just wanna make sure they'l come back before i turn em loose ya know.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Bassetdad,
Your choice of a Basset Hound for the family pet/companion dog that will also do fun tracking/hunting is a good one. I have a neighbor with a Basset Hound as a family companion dog and some mornings at day break I will just listen to and enjoy that signature bay of a BH. According to my friend that owns a BH , while you are having fun with training and conditioning your pack remember to use a good quality kibble and make sure they are lean and ready to run as a heavy Basset Hound can have back trouble and front leg/joint problems.

Let me say welcome to DF ,there are many very knowledgeable folks ( better than me ) here that can help you with general training advice and nutritional needs for bert and wilson .

If I understand what you want correctly , a family pet that will hunt/track and have fun, then , your sent training in cool weather will be fun for all and the start of a new adventure. Your training needs will probably be an easy job as the Basset already has the nose and natural ability. So perhaps treats and track sent is all you will need to get started. All you need now is to build a rabbit box trap and let it weather outside and get rid of the new smell and color. The live rabbit will serve for sent training and inspiration for your dogs and you may release the rabbit unharmed later.

Best , oldhounddog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts