Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

A few days ago our beagle came out on the very bad end of an encounter with a chicken drumstick - she got a torn esophagus for her troubles. Really had never thought about how serious an injury that was (often mortal if not treated quickly), for humans as well as dogs. Now she's getting all water/food/meds thru a PEG tube in her side for at least a couple weeks & is currently a miserable & feeble little creature!

One reassuring sign is that she's still slowly hobbling to the door for potty breaks. Though we have a fenced yard, because she's not allowed any liquids or food via mouth whatsoever we have to keep her closely leashed. Obviously a normal collar's out due to throat injury. We have a harness but in her current state it's difficult to make her step into it. Is there a way to simply loop a leash around upper legs and/or chest to get a harness-like effect without the throat pressure? This is not for extended walks, just to keep her close for a quick 2 minute potty time.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I don't know about using a leash like that, but wanted to say that the easiest harness to put on, in my opinion, is the Easy Walk. You leave the back clip buckled, then put it over the dog's head and all you have to do is buckle the belly clip. You can even leave the leash attached to it. It might be easier than the normal style of harness?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
make them all the time at work. You will need two leashes.. Take one of those vet leashes (a rope with a ring at the end of it) make it into a slip leash place around the dogs neck now take the end with the handle and wrap it around the dog's chest behind the front legs. take the handle and put it thru the 'o' ring attach the 2nd leash to the end of the leash. hope this helps.

Did your dog get into the garbage? or were you feeding her a raw diet? Just want to know. On Thursday a puppy was presented at the clinic for having a chicken bone stuck in his rectum. I felt so bad for him. The little puppy kept trying to get the bone out and prolasped his rectum for his efforts.

hope your dog heals ok and quickly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for the helpful info.

luv mi pets, it was indeed a raw diet incident. She's 10.5 years old, has doing the raw thing since a puppy at 6 months, and until this week was a poster dog for the benefits. Fit & trim, beautiful soft coat, looks and acts far younger than her years. By my count she's consumed well over 6000 drumsticks in her lifetime, it was just the 6000-somethingth that got her.

Best I can tell is that she crunched it once or twice then swallowed it whole, with a piece of bone sticking sideways. This morning one vet tech who watched the extraction described it as "one of the more impressive things I've seen pulled from a dog's throat".

I'm feeling pangs of guilt about it, but aside from the internal injuries & feeding tube in her side she was pretty damn lucky. The pre-surgery xrays did not look encouraging & we left her there (huddled in an oxygen chamber) with the vet basically saying "we'll call you mid-procedure if things are bad so you can make a decision". But she's been home 72 hours and - serious knocking on wood - improving incrementally. Still a sorry sad little critter at the moment though.

Needless to say, when she's eating again we're going to consult with someone about a no-bone raw diet. And I'd caution others who regularly feed raw bones - things can go fine for many years, but one mishap and your pup is in serious trouble.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The reason I asked was because Beagles are so notorious for garbage raiding. You can buy a grinder and feed her a raw diet. You can also buy a prepackaged raw food. I am not a big proponent of the raw diet that dogs are fed bones. Kind of like an ER doctor and trampolines. See too many of the 6000 once too many times. See more of the intestinal blockage and chipped/cracked molars. The molars become infected and then have to be removed. Chicken necks not so bad, but after your close call you will probably stay far away from bones for quite awhile. I am glad to hear your dog is doing better and hopefully will stay on the road to recovery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts