Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our GSD puppy went into heat at seven months old, three weeks ago (the day we were leaving for a vacation and having our babysitter dog- and house-sit for us; what a surprise for her...) I had planned on getting her spayed prior to her first heat, but I had it in my mind that ~9 months was around the time I would have expected her to go into season. But whatever: nothing to be done for it now, we'll get her fixed as soon as I'm sure her heat is over.

Her heat appears to be over: it has been 21 days since her first bloody spotting. I'm not seeing any more discharge at all, and her swelling has gone down. I've read that she should have another round of bloody discharge, though, and I haven't seen that.

She has been pretty cooped up: leash walks were necessarily curtailed, no hikes or anything. I'd like to be able to get her some more exercise than she's had for these three weeks, and she would sure like it, too. She loves going to the dog park, and hasn't been able to, obviously. I want to be able to take her out, but not if I'm not certain her heat is done.

Is there anything I can do to make sure she's done with estrus?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
at this point she should be done....give her at least 6 wks from now and then you'd be safe to spay (the vessels are still quite enlarged for a while after their heat).....her next cycle shouldn't be for at least 6 wks (i say shouldn't b/c nothing is ever for certain...my girl was anywhere from 7-9 mo and it looks like her pup is following suit).....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts