Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like this would be simple enough, but when Noel wants to play, she wants to play... She's got this rubber toy that she loves playing tug and fetch with, and when you've had enough and stop playing, she doesn't seem to get it no matter what you say... So I figure the best thing would be to just ignore her, and then she'll get bored with me... Yea, not so much... She will push that toy into me and drag it over my skin (with that rubber thing, this can be freakin painful when it grabs my hairs) all day long... She DOES eventually stop, but I kid you not when I mean it takes forever...

This kind of applies to anytime I've been playing with her... She gets excited, granted she should, she's a puppy... But I'd just love to be able to tell her to 'chill' and then she relaxes...

Any tips?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The little known secret the professionals use is baking soda sprinkled into your shoes.

Seriously, sprinkle baking soda in your shoes every day, and keep up with your NILF and obedience exercises. Then, in about 1 to 2 years, the problem will be solved.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The little known secret the professionals use is baking soda sprinkled into your shoes.

Seriously, sprinkle baking soda in your shoes every day, and keep up with your NILF and obedience exercises. Then, in about 1 to 2 years, the problem will be solved.
ummm... WHAT? Is this meant for a different question?

What does baking soda in my shoes have to do with teaching her to stop playing?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
What does baking soda in my shoes have to do with teaching her to stop playing?
It keeps your shoes smelling nice. The other stuff + time is what gets it done. Training, socializing, and general habilitation are processes. They take time, and patience. Some dogs stay goofy their whole lives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey,
first as a puppy,
your dog does have a natural tendency to play around.
First off the aggressive nature of your new joy is not normal.
its showing dominance over you as you keep giving in.
couple of rules i would recommend to stop this.
1. Do not pick up the dog.
this can be often very difficult but you can manage this, this will show the dog that he/she cant get what she wants, it has to follow it.
2.Be relaxed around it.
When it comes up to you joyful and energetic, do not respond with an energitic movements, be relaxed, do not encourage it, when its encouraged its harder to control. If you were to take a hyper child to chuck E. cheese, same thing. you dont wanna encourage a dog thats already hyper/playful.
3.Change the feeding
, if you feed beneful, its packed with sugar, dogs love it=gets too hyper. if you feed it pedigree/alpo/great etc. (grocery store brands) then the dog is not getting any nutrients and is just trying to burn the fillers it injested. fillers will include anything with corn, unless made from corn husk. by products, glucose, and coloring. if it says meal.
4.show ownership
Make her calm down, make the dog lose interest in the toy. well a bit of interest. Grab the toy away from her. move it under ur body, and keep pushing the dog away. This gives you ownersship of that toy, the dog will pick up that you are the dominant one, and it must show a respectful behavior.
5.Walk
Try walking it. 45 min. if its really hyper.

well best of luck.

-P.909

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It keeps your shoes smelling nice. The other stuff + time is what gets it done. Training, socializing, and general habilitation are processes. They take time, and patience. Some dogs stay goofy their whole lives.
ahhh... okay... so basically your just saying give it time, its normal... :) i had no idea what you were talking about... i'm thinking to myself "does this guy have 2 separate windows open and he he thinks he just answered a question about keeping the dog off your shoes?" makes sense now though...

and yes hulk, she does LOVE to play... i should post some more vids on youtube... this girl is full of smiles when she's not frustrating ;)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
My dogs have a command "all done". It means to stop playing. I would get them all excited and stuff by jumping around and playing a bit with them (but with no toys to start) and then suddenly stand up straight, cross my arms and look for rain. The second they settle down a bit I marked it and then the craziness resumed for 30 seconds or a minute or what ever and I did the same. Once they were settling a bit almost immedietly I would wait a few seconds of them being settled before resuming the craziness. Then increase it a little more and a little more, so they have to slowly be settled and calm for an increasing amount of time. Once you reach a target time (I did 3 minutes) add the command, I use "all done".

Once the dog can do this well for your target amount of time and has the command down, redo it with a toy invovled. Start from the beginning again.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
She will push that toy into me and drag it over my skin (with that rubber thing, this can be freakin painful when it grabs my hairs) all day long...
You can put the toy away. :)

I have done what melgrj7 suggests. Put "stop playing" on a cue like "all done".

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
When I'm done playing and the ignoring doesn't work, then I get up and walk away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts