Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At times, I need my dog to move out of the way. For example, we're going to the back garage door, so I can go in and grab her food, and she stands in my way, right at the door. I can step over her now that she's a puppy, but when she grows up--well, I need her to move out of the way.

With my previous dogs, I taught them the "out" command by grabbing them by the collar and pulling them away. This time, I'd like to do something less physical. I've been using "come," "sit," and "stay," but the tri-command approach is getting old. It also isn't terribly practical for other situations, as when I'm in a planter doing some gardening, and she decides to sit right smack in the middle of the whole thing. :wave:

How would you teach an "out" command for those types of situations?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I don't so much use a cue as I use my hand to sort of gesture/guide her out of the way.

Aside from that I will gently shuffle through her "Excuse me, thank you!" and she generally gets the idea. But my dog is basically oblivious to being physically bumped/nudged so it doesn't bother her. I wouldn't do that with a dog who is more sensitive.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I throw a treat and say "Out of the way." You pretty much always have to have treats in your pocket, but when you need to get to something and the dog is just laying there like "what?" then throwing a treat is effective. It eventually teaches them when you say "out of the way" or "move" or whatever your cue is that they need to move off to the side.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
I... say move and point where I want them to go. My dogs are exceptionally good at following points, though.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I throw a treat and say "Out of the way." You pretty much always have to have treats in your pocket, but when you need to get to something and the dog is just laying there like "what?" then throwing a treat is effective. It eventually teaches them when you say "out of the way" or "move" or whatever your cue is that they need to move off to the side.
Yup, this is exactly how I taught "out out of the way", which is an essential command for dogs who are 34.5" and 36" at the shoulders. Very effective. Didn't take much time for them to pick up on it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I... say move and point where I want them to go. My dogs are exceptionally good at following points, though.
This is what I do too. Say either "move over" or "beep beep" and point to where I want them to go. To help train it, I give a little nudge with my knee if they're standing right close. Treats work too if you have them handy.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, this one isn't. My Cockers were, and with a little gentle collar leading, they got it in a few tries. I'll try the treat approach. I'm having problems getting her to heel with treats, though, and this isn't much different.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I more or less walk through them and tell them to move. Eventually "Move" became the command and they will get out of my way if I say "Move." I didn't officially teach them that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts