Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

How to Tame Cousin's Dog

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  xxxxdogdragoness 
#1 · (Edited)
Problem solved :D

#2 ·
Treats. Perhaps you could toss him some treats next time to see him. Say his name, talk kindly to him.
That should help.

#4 ·
No chocolate. Try getting some cheese, and tossing him some small pieces, then offer him them to him from your hand. Shih tsus usually are all bark. Call him to you, instead of running away. Walk in there with confidence while talking to him and calling his name.

#5 ·
Nope, chocolate is toxic to dogs. Try cheese or meat. Is there someone who can go with you for the first visit? It might help you to have someone with you to keep calm and meet Stevie slowly. You probably dont want to meet him in the hallway or keep the door open too much on the off chance than Stevie runs off. Step right inside and stay confident. The running and barking is normal dog behaviour so try not to be intimidated. Just stand still, say his name calmly, toss him some treats and let him smell you. Maybe wait to pet him until you're both more comfortable, when you eventually do hold you hand out and let him approach, then touch him softly from under the chin. Dogs don't like it when you reach over their heads. He's a little fellow and I very much doubt he would bite you but if you're feeling nervous about it wear some thick boots, just for peace of mind. Good luck with him!

#6 ·
Did I understand correctly? You've never met this dog before and you're afraid of dogs, but you're caring for it while your cousin is away? And when the dog barked, you left and plan to return today? In the meantime, has the dog been fed or gone outside or had fresh water?

I'd say your cousin needs to plan a bit better.

#8 ·
Yep, i dropped some food and water last night before i "ran" away.

If he was puppy trained at Petsmart, then i'm sure he's not a biter unless he feels threatened right? Would stepping into his territory be a form of threatening to him? I'm okay with him running towards me and sniffing me, but having his front legs up on me freaks me out.

#10 ·
Sorry if this sounds condescending (but I felt compelled to say it) it's really not meant to be a jab at you but I had a chuckle at the end of this vision of a person running from a shit-tzu, as I read the story I was picturing the typical dog that inspires fear in most non-dog ppl. I mean you were talking about him like he was a snarling Rottweiler :rolleyes:

As someone who has owned & dealt with dogs in a regular basis for the better part of 20 yrs as well as working in thr horse industry, now I WILL admit to being chased out of a stall (much like you were at that house) by an aggressive HORSE lol

#9 ·
I think you need to either bring a friend who is comfortable with dogs or pay a dog walker to come with you.

That poor dog needs more than just having food and water dropped; he needs to go outside regularly and have some exercise also. You could also consider calling your cousin and getting permission to board his dog (he could call the boarding facility and pay with a credit card over the phone).

Honestly, very few dogs bite people. This dog is probably hyper, lonely and wanting attention and NEEDING to be let outside. So of course he is jumping on you, barking to tell you he needs things (food, water, pee break etc), and generally won't behave as nicely as he might when his owner is there and he has his needs met. Even if he has a doggie door to the outside, he needs attention, food, water and just being checked on a few times per day to make sure he is safe.

#11 ·
I think it's hilarious that your running from a Shih Tzu, shows how effective barking is at keeping people away.
Chances are all you have to do is go in and let it run out at you. Stay calm and eventually it'll sniff you and be fine with you.
Very few dogs actually will bite at an intruder. So go in and it'll be fine.

#12 ·
Just wear tall boots and brave the beast! :)

Really though I don't want to be bitten by any dog, big or small. I really don't think that he would seriously attack you. You may need to walk in, sit down on the floor, and talk calmly to him until he feels ok with you (a stranger) in his house.

#13 ·
bacon, real bacon .... :)
Keep your hand in your pockets, move slowly. Approach him from his side. You can tell if he is going to bite you if his tail drop, growling, and you can see his fang. If he just barks, he most likely will not bite. Dogs bark because of they are afraid too.

#15 ·
Having a dog is more then cute, it's a lot of work ESP if you have high drive/working/herding breeds/types. But as you have found out, even a shit-tzu requires work lol

Get on some all breed sites, research, go to some all breed dog shows (most have repress gives of most of the breeds), good luck, dogs are great :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.