Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, before I start off, I know "most" people's Pitbull's are nice, sweet little lap dogs. I've known a few myself. But without very serious intense training, they very easily can be monsters.

We all know there are those moron's in our society that own Pitbulls (for whatever reason) that do not train them properly and are just menacing individuals themselves which leads to overly aggressive dogs. Most all of these moron's (one live's very close by us) that refuses to have his Pit restrained on a leash.

This topic comes at a time where just last week a woman (in the next town up from us), was severely mauled by (2) Pitbulls as she was riding her bike. Yea, they were on the loose. The cops responded and shot them. One died instantly and the other ran off and was found dead.

Anyways, my wife and I take our dog (little Beagle) on frequent long (couple miles) walks through out our neighborhood. I personally am not afraid of dogs. My wife however is scared out of her mind of other people's bigger dogs. She fine with the small one's, but the bigger one's send her into an instant panic attack.

When we're out on our walks and come across a bigger dog, my wife and I frequently disagree on the dog's intention's and demeanor. She's even afraid of bigger Collies! LMAO! :lol: ..... that's not nice of me to laugh at her but... ;)

That all said, we both intend on going to Class and obtaining CCWs. Until that happens I need to know what it the best way (other than NOT going out of the freaking house) to fend off an attack. I also need to know what is the best weapon (don't have a CCW yet...) to carry and use during an attack.

PS - Please don't bother debating me that all Pitbull's are nice, sweet, timid little beings. I don't want to hear that non-sense. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
While all dogs can attack I wouldn't specifically worry about Pit Bulls all dogs can be dangerous and that is the only thing you really need to know when it comes to defending yourself from a dog. For one I would strongly suggest your wife controlling her panic because that can make a dangerous dog ten time more dangerous. Panic feeds aggression. I would suggest getting a can of bear mase. However be aware that spraying a dog with it might escalate the aggression and very well could get into the humans eyes so it can't be used unless absolutely necessary.

Judge the deed not the breed.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
The loose aggressive dogs that have rushed at me and my small dogs have all been labs or lab mixes (and not lab/pit mixes, either).

You survive a pit bull attack the same way you'd survive an attack by any medium/large dog. Pits' jaws don't "lock" or any of that other commonly-believed nonsense.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
But without very serious intense training, they very easily can be monsters.
this is actually the polar opposite of the truth. more often than not, it takes a very serious load of horrific neglect and abuse to provoke a pit bull to attack a person.

beyond that..ditto the other posts.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I know a collie that bit pretty badly. SEVERAL people and I saw it go off once in person. They're decent sized dogs and can do some damage too, believe me. I'm just saying this because you specifically pointed out that it was silly to be afraid of collies. Any dog can bite and do damage. Any good sized dog can do some serious damage if they want to.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
wish I could find the video I saw of a pitbull attack....little child had such a wet, slobbery face, I wonder if she survived the attack?
I'm not making light of pitbull attacks. They happen. So do attacks by other breeds but you rarely hear about them. I've read stories where it was said to be a pitbull but wasn't really. I bet the retraction, if there was one, was a teeny tiny little piece, on a back page.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
you don't survive. they are mean viscious monsters. be afraid....and tell your wife not to go out of the house.

geez

·
Registered
954 Posts
The last fatalities caused by dogs around here were by huskies, labs and mixed dogs. Of these, only one was heavily reported in the media. then again, most people I've met who were afraid of pit bulls could not identify one if it was standing in front of them.

how to survive a dog attack? Don't panic, try yelling "no" at the dog (worked for me when I was rushed by a Berner a few weeks ago) and carry some mace, a stick or other non-fatal weapon. Don't look strange dogs in the eyes. Try to avoid places where you know unleashed and/or aggressive dogs are.

And stop giving dogs the benefit of the doubt or prejudging their aggressiveness based on breed: collies can attack, so can chihuahuas, pit bulls, mutts, etc.

Now, someone pass the popcorn.

(And a pet peeve of mine: there is a difference between the plural -s and the possessive 's...)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
How to survive a Pit bull attack? Talk in a stupid baby voice and tell them how cute they are. Boom, "crisis" averted :D

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
First of all, get educated before you bash a breed on a forum filled with responsible owners of that breed.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
How to survive a Pit bull attack? Talk in a stupid baby voice and tell them how cute they are. Boom, "crisis" averted :D
I like this idea, but I think the OP would have better chances of hiring Chuck Norris as a body guard. I would have said wvasko instead of Chuck, but his rates these days simply aren't feasible.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Threads like this make me think twice about owning a pit bull.
I mean, what if Bob were to kill me in my sleep? He might hog too much of the bed, and I might fall off, and I might bump my head...

And not only that, but what if I choke on his drool should he lick me too much one day?

I'm going to curl into the fetal position now.

With a bowl of popcorn and my 'puter.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I mean, what if Bob were to kill me in my sleep? He might hog too much of the bed, and I might fall off, and I might bump my head...
Not a pit bull owner, but that's happened to me.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Charlotte likes to sit on my face when I'm laying down. Maybe she's trying to smother me with her BUTT! D: D: D:

1 - 20 of 168 Posts