Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 month old coonhound wants every single piece of food she sees.... to the point that she will steal the food from my 2 other dog's mouths. Not sure how to handle this one, because the other dogs just let her have it. They put up no resistance at all. And in the event that they choose not to give it to her, she barks at them until they do.

I can't - generally - block her easily due to the fact that for right now, I can't really walk ( though I am getting better ).

I was thinking put her on a leash and keep her with me whenever she might be tempted to do that.

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
Feeding the dogs separately and removing food dishes before they are again loose together is going to be your safest bet by far.

Hounds in general are highly food motivated and young dogs in general have poor impulse control. So you have both in one with a 9 month coonhound. While the older dogs are giving a pass right now, every time she steals or harasses them while they eat is risking one or both getting fed up and snapping or biting her. Every animal has their patience breaking point.

While leashing her during food times may prevent her from stealing food at that moment, it can also cause a build up of frustration and possible tension between the dogs if they can approach her but she is restrained.

What is your set-up like for where and how they are fed? As in, 2x daily dry food vs free fed dry food; or outside in the yard vs indoors; etc

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
^^^What Shell said. Crate or otherwise confine the puppy until the other dogs are finished and their bowls picked up. If she eats faster than they do, feed them first, and then give her her food. If you allow the harassment to continue, eventually her "puppy pass" will wear out, and the other dogs could start resource guarding.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I never feed dogs together. Doing that is trouble waiting to happen.

I put each dog in a crate and that is where they eat and they cannot even SEE each other. Separate rooms will work too.

For a young puppy I would not feed her out of a bowl at all. I would use all her food for training (especially a hound breed which is genetically predisposed to be and work independently of the handler). So, put the other dogs away and feed the puppy making her do something for all her food as many times a day as you food.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never feed dogs together. Doing that is trouble waiting to happen.

I put each dog in a crate and that is where they eat and they cannot even SEE each other. Separate rooms will work too.

For a young puppy I would not feed her out of a bowl at all. I would use all her food for training (especially a hound breed which is genetically predisposed to be and work independently of the handler). So, put the other dogs away and feed the puppy making her do something for all her food as many times a day as you food.
We have always had 3 dogs for the last 18 years... until this one, we had no issues feeding them all at once. But I like your other point. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
We have always had 3 dogs for the last 18 years... until this one, we had no issues feeding them all at once.
Every dog is different. You may have to change your strategy with this one.

We feed our dogs separately as well. It's just not worth a potential fight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry for a differing point of view but I have four dogs-ages 4 months to 14 years and I have always fed mine in their own specific spots, but in the same space and at the same time and have taught them to respect that. I stand there as they eat and as one dog is done, their bowl comes up. It takes maybe a month to teach and it's by redirecting the puppy every time he wanders to another's bowl. That being said, none of the dogs have ever shown aggression. I also teach the pups to respect the elders. The two young ones are trained to sit and wait until the older dogs come in the door, go out the door and the same with stairs. That way they are taught where their place is in the pack.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I can (and do) toss treats to my dogs, and they won't fight each other or dive for each other's treats. I probably could feed them side by side. However, I don't want them to feel like they have to wolf down their food. I want them to enjoy mealtimes. So, I feed them in their crates. It's easy and everyone is happy -- not only does it allow each dog to eat their food at their own pace, it helps reinforce that positive association with the crates.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A common mistake is assuming that just because something worked before means it will work again.
Is your puppy getting Enough food in their bowl? They need more than adults. Also maybe try a slow feed bowl (or muffin tin or cookie sheet or even sit down and hand feed puppy slowly) for the puppy, so the older dogs have more time to finish theirs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts