Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! About 2 months ago I got a dalmatian puppy. She's been such a sweet girl and has been so easy to train. With that being said I have run into a hiccup and am not sure how to properly extinguish a behavior. I live in an apartment and work from home so she is with me pretty much all day every day except at night when she sleeps in a crate by herself. My problem is that when I go to my mothers house (she lives close by so it's around once a week), my pup refuses to stay outside in the yard by herself. She starts scratching and jumping at the door and has really scratched up the door frame by only being out there for a few minutes. I am not sure how to get her to stop because if I open the door to get on to her then she is essentially getting what she wants by me coming outside. My initial thought is to just let her do it for a while and she will realize that it doesn't work and stop but I don't want the door to get ruined in the process. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would just stay out with her and let her in when she's done her business (honestly, at that age I was going out with my puppies every time anyway to make sure to praise if she peed or pooped).

If you want her to stop, you'll have to ignore her and only let her in when she's quiet, unfortunately. To be honest, it's one thing I didn't really worry about with mine.. I don't mind them telling me that they want to go in... and yes one of my dogs destroyed a screen and the paint of our door in the process. Now we have a glass screen door so it's just dirty lol. I have a scratcher and a barker (because barker is too old to scratch). The third one just lays there until I let him in.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This behavior is not a thing you can fix unless you put in a regular outdoor kennel and put her in that.

Go out with her and then bring her in. Don't leave her out there by herself. That is the other answer.

If you punish her for scratching at the door she won't relate the door scratching to your punishment. She will only know you are mad and have no idea why you come out angry. All that does is damage your relationship with the dog.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You are taking her along to your mother's house and leaving her in the yard? She's not used to being on her own and wants to be with you. I'd actually do mat work and have her lay down inside the house as you visit with your mother. Her hair wouldn't get all over the house and she'd develop a rock solid down stay. Look up Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol, do it to the end at your home then go through the same protocol at your mother's house.

As for staying outside quietly work on that at home as well then when she's got it do the same at your mother's house. I'd do special training trips so not to interfere with your visits. My dogs bark outside so my plan is to call them in for a cookie after a very short period of being quiet and gradually increase time between calling them in. Am sure the same would work with being out on her own. Close the door and open it in 1 second, cookie for quiet puppy and increase duration as she becomes more comfortable without you close by. It is sort of the opposite of crate training, you are in the 'crate' rather than the dog. Hope your yard is puppy safe, lots of trouble to get into out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts