Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My puppy has been nipping us quite a lot. :( Sometimes it doesn't hurt but sometimes she does bite us hard. Any advice to stop or lessen it?

I tried yelping and yelling "ouch" but it doesn't work with her. She just gets more excited and bite harder. I also tried touching her nose but that doesn't do any good either. :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
When she bites too hard, playing ends. Say "oops" or something similar and then get up and leave, the game is over. Ignore her for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes I do go away but she chases me. Hahaha. And she knows how to come upstairs. :D Would it be a good idea if I put her in her crate for a time-out?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The crate isn't supposed to be used as a source of punishment as they will grow to dislike it, when it should be a safe place for them. Is there any way you can keep her in one room? Maybe with a baby/pet gate?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Offer her a toy instead -showing her the appropriate thing to chew on
If she keeps biting you, walk away from her, count to 3 (or 5) then come back - setting a natural boundary, when she gets too rough, the game stops.

Be consistent and persistent. Don't give up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I read the crate should be a good experience for her. Will keep that in mind. :)

I tried petting her and then giving her a treat if she doesn't mouth me (saw a training vid on youtube) and she was surprisingly good today. :D Will definitely incorporate the walking away method too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
could you maybe put a baby gate up in a door that you can step over to get away? That's what I had going with Manna when she was younger. You want to make the crate a happy place, not a punishment place.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When we give our dogs a treat we always tell the "gentle" and we praise them if they are very gentle when they take it from your hand. They soon learned that "gentle" meant they should not bite our fingers. When they get mouthy when playing with us we tell them be "gentle" and they quit being nippy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I can't put up a baby gate or anything. Cause we renovated our hse and everything is linked. :(

I'm was wondering today, should I teach her 1. Off command (stop biting hand) or 2. Allow her to bite but only gently?

·
Registered
77 Posts
When she bites too hard, playing ends. Say "oops" or something similar and then get up and leave, the game is over. Ignore her for 10 minutes.
We did this at play time, I also wore an old fleece jacket to signify rough play time. Did this every day for the first couple if months. Now anyone can grap his jaw or tooth to play (light rough housing) and no concerns.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm was wondering today, should I teach her 1. Off command (stop biting hand) or 2. Allow her to bite but only gently?
You need to pick your boundary for her and set it. When she gets too rough for you, that's when you need to end the game so she knows not to get rough beyond that point.
But if you let her mouth now, she may continue to do it when she's older and the bigger she gets, the more it's going to hurt.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Offer her a toy instead -showing her the appropriate thing to chew on
If she keeps biting you, walk away from her, count to 3 (or 5) then come back - setting a natural boundary, when she gets too rough, the game stops.

Be consistent and persistent. Don't give up.
I find this is the only thing that works for us. Lucky for us, Jewel is older and learns quickly, but her nips were also very strong. It only took a few times of giving her a toy for her to understand. She used to greet me after work by nipping since she was so excited and now she will even get a toy on her own instead. If she starts this outside, I will grab a stick and throw it.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Unfortunately I can't put up a baby gate or anything. Cause we renovated our hse and everything is linked. :(

Personally I would prefer for them not to put teeth on human skin at all. YOU might be okay with it, but if she's mouthy with someone who is afraid of dogs or a small child, there might be cause for concern.

It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with, though. If she's not going to be interacting with new and different people often it might not be as much of an issue.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Other, more experienced people can (should) weigh in on this but if it gets to be too much, I scare dogs straight. I yelp, high and fairly loud (NOT earsplitting, just a bit shocking) and withdraw. Whine a bit, nurse your hand, work some theatrics. When they express a concern, embrace it with open arms; they're the hero now! Let them lick your hand and get all gushy. It's not the sort of thing I would routinely do, lest it lose it's dramatic effect, but IME it's a language that puppies understand.

Naturally, pups also loose what little self-restraint they have when they get all whipped up. Walk the line between fun and crazy during playtime!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I will stick to teaching her bite inhibition. If not if she might not know how hard she's biting.

Just now I tried the yelping method but she didn't stop biting me. She wasn't even startled. I think she got even more exited. So I just gave her a time-out. Will stick to this method and hope in due time it'll work wonders.

On a happier note, thank God she's doing well with potty training. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts