Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a three year old staffie and she is aggressive to other dogs and seems to be worse when she is on a lead and muzzled. She used to be fine I used to go running with her off the lead and then one day she just ran a attacked this Jack Russell. She also doesn't get along with my two other dogs they are also both Jack Russell's. Kyla (my staffie) and bonnie (one of the jack Russell's) are the same ages and we got them a week apart and they will literally fight to the death if they have half the chance so we have to have them in seperate parts of the house. My boyfriend has three Staffies and we are thinking about moving in together but I can't if the dogs don't get along. My auntie and her husband had a aggressive dog each and they ended up moving in together and they trained the dogs to get along. So I'm hoping this will happen with the Staffies.. Any help or tips would be amazing
Xx

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'm sorry not trying to sound rude. But if you buy a breed that is known for dog aggression. Then you should be prepared to have to keep them seperate. How do the fights start? What do you do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be fair I've know many Staffies and none of them had a problem with aggression. I personally wouldn't say they are a aggressive breed but anyway when they fight its just as soon as they get together they just go straight for it and I just grab my dog and my mum grabs the jack Russell and wait for them to lose grib on each other and pull them away when we can

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I've got a three year old staffie and she is aggressive to other dogs and seems to be worse when she is on a lead and muzzled. She used to be fine I used to go running with her off the lead and then one day she just ran a attacked this Jack Russell. She also doesn't get along with my two other dogs they are also both Jack Russell's. Kyla (my staffie) and bonnie (one of the jack Russell's) are the same ages and we got them a week apart and they will literally fight to the death if they have half the chance so we have to have them in seperate parts of the house. My boyfriend has three Staffies and we are thinking about moving in together but I can't if the dogs don't get along. My auntie and her husband had a aggressive dog each and they ended up moving in together and they trained the dogs to get along. So I'm hoping this will happen with the Staffies.. Any help or tips would be amazing
Xx
A couple things:
- "she used to be fine" Any time there is a CHANGE in behavior, as in she used to be fine, but now she's acting up, usually means a trip to the vet to rule out anything medical that could cause this CHANGE.
- however, I doubt this is really a matter of she used to be fine but now she's not, because you say she's always been like this with your other dogs.

Think carefully, what happens (and has happened) to cause the fights? Even something very subtle and hard to see? Does the Staffie start it every time, or does the JR do anything to upset the Staffie?

Lots of dogs are more aggressive on leash, it's called "leash reactivity", and in short, it means that the dog feels restricted and unable to protect themselves should the need arise, when they are leashed, so they act aggressively, kind of like trying to show they are really tough so the other dog won't mess with them.

As for your auntie and her husband: I don't really think you can train dogs who don't like each other and are aggressive to get along. Your aunt's and her husbands may not have been truly aggressive, they may have been reactive, or they may have felt threatened by the other's presence, but if they were truly dog aggressive, that doesn't usually change.....

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
To be fair I've know many Staffies and none of them had a problem with aggression. I personally wouldn't say they are a aggressive breed but anyway when they fight its just as soon as they get together they just go straight for it and I just grab my dog and my mum grabs the jack Russell and wait for them to lose grib on each other and pull them away when we can
And one day the Staffy, being the larger dog, is going to do severe or fatal damage to the JRT before you can pull them apart. These two dogs should NEVER have the chance to "go for it": there should be 2 barriers between them at all times. A muzzle does not count as a barrier. A crate, a door, a leash to a no-slip collar or harness with an adult holding it, a secure fence or similar. Pick 2. So for example, she can be crated in a room with a door shut, that way if someone opens the door, she can't rush through it and get to one of the JRTs. Or she can be loose in one room with a door shut while the JRT is in another room with that door shut and before one door is opened, the other must be clearly shut.

If she "used to be fine", did her aggression come around about at the age of maturity? About 2-2.5 years old? That is a common age for dog aggression to appear.
If she is truly dog aggressive, it is unlikely you will be able to train her to get along with another dog. I agree with this:
As for your auntie and her husband: I don't really think you can train dogs who don't like each other and are aggressive to get along. Your aunt's and her husbands may not have been truly aggressive, they may have been reactive, or they may have felt threatened by the other's presence, but if they were truly dog aggressive, that doesn't usually change.....
I've had more than one dog in my house that has problems in certain circumstances with other dogs but was perfectly fine with my dog, with several others dogs, or when those particular circumstances were controlled for (such as barrier aggression aka fence fighting). One of my friend's dogs bit my dog right through his cheek but is fine with her 2 dogs and fine around my dog IF there is no food around. So it is possible that your family member's dogs fell into a similar category of selectively aggressive or selectively reactive.

Really, in my opinion, if you are dealing with a dog that has attacked more than one dog and continues to try to attack, then you need A) to keep them completely separate and B) to contact a professional behaviorist who can evaluate the dog in person and work with both the dogs AND the people (all family members and anyone living in the home need to know how to work with the dog and how to keep everyone safe)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts