Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have an 8.5 year old German Shepherd/Border Collie mix. Even though she's a relatively good walking, she'll bark frantically at any cat she sees (even if that cat is halfway down the block), lunge at, and attempt to chase after it. Whenever she encounters other distractions, like squirrels and chipmunks, she perk her ears and tail, but she will only pull if the distraction runs direction in front of her. Which, obviously, rarely is done by a squirrel.

We have two cats at home which she is fine with. Sometimes she will chase them but it's never in a menacing or aggressive more. It's much more playful.

How can we stop her from chasing after the neighbourhood cats? She has never attacked a cat (she has been around other cats who she was no familiar with and all she did was look startled and then sniff curiously at them). But it's very frustrating to walk her in our neighbourhoud because there are many cats and she goes nuts at the sight of them.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I can sympathize! Livia is the same way (but add in the squirrels, birds, other dogs, people.. the joy!). We are working on 'watch me' command and have started using a Halti so we can direct her head away from fixating on whatever it may be. It's a work in progress for sure - I know how frustrating it is!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Bob goes nuts for cats. I just have to keep a look-out and keep our distance. I've had some success with "Look At That" training.

I can say that one time- only once- a cat was in a fenced area with an open gate along our walking route. Every morning Bob looks intently for that cat, who has never reappeared!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts