Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4-5 year old dog that I'm currently fostering. So far he's been great except for one little thing, when I take him out for potty breaks if I try to take him back inside or in another direction he'll pull back like a mule and bite at the leash. I'm not sure how to correct him when he shows this behavior as I've never dealt with it before.

He also will flip his head up and hit me with his muzzle if I reach for the d-ring on his collar. It's almost as though he wants to bite me but stops himself before he does. I'm not really sure how to interpret this behavior. I don't know if that's a warning he's giving me or what?

A little bit of his history should be included I suppose. Grim is a dog I adopted with the intention of fostering through his heartworm treatment (he tested a strong positive). He was brought in by a family that found him as a stray and that's all we know of his background. I'm really at a loss as to how to stop this behavior so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Try showing him that walking back inside or walking with you is a good thing. You can get a high value treat, like little pieces of meat, and get his nose working, and try to guide him inside, don't pull or tug on the leash, if he hits the end of the leash, just get the treat closer to his nose, and coax him over by saying stuff like, "come boy!" "cmon boy!", and reward those few more steps. Keep rewarding him until you get back inside and go back out and do it alllll over again.

Try the same thing for the D-ring, distract him with the meat treat by holding it real close to his nose, and hold it up a bit so his head is up and he's licking your hand. Then reach for the D-ring, if you wrap your finger or whatever you want around it, reward him. If he turns to touch you, then distract him again with the treat and go for the ring again until he finally gets that it's okay for you to be touching right there.
Eventually you can turn up the difficultly and try actually moving the collar around with the D-ring, so he gets used to you moving it too. Then repeat it a million times.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts