Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 12 yr old lab mix, a 6 yr old Chihuahua mix, a 3 1/2 month lab mix.

As of Wed, I will be adding five 8 wk old lab mixes from the same litter, and another 10 wk old lab mix from elsewhere. I'm trying to figure out the best way to seperate the 6 new puppies- mainly the 5 from the same litter. They can all be crate trained by themselves, but it's not realistic for them to be seperated from eachother all the time. Just looking for any tips on how to make them each independent, good dogs.

The 3 dogs I already have are absolutely perfect, so I don't have concern about them dealing with the new puppies, but didn't know how they can be an asset to training the new ones. Should I split them into groups for play time and then re-do the groups, so they don't get attached to one specific mate? Never been in these shoes before, so any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Why on earth are you adopting 6 puppies at once?

·
Registered
77 Posts
How many people are available to care for all these dogs? The only way to make the puppies good independent dogs is to provide them individual time, away from all the other dogs, every day, to train and develop a human bond.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm guessing you will have lots of people helping you with these puppies?

What the breeder of our dog did when she is starting to train and socialize the puppies in larger litters is to split them into smaller groups of two or three. She has two to three helpers (her children usually) who each take a group to train and play with separately. Each dog has one on one time with a handler as well as play time with some of their litter mates everyday. They are also all separately crated during the night after they are fully weaned.

I can't say if this is the only way or 100% right way to do it but our dog came to us at 10 weeks well crate trained and socialized. He is happy to play on his own but also loves to play with other dogs and people.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Very interesting. I have only ever tried two at once. ? :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The best way I have found are kennels. I group train pups, but they also need individual training. Usually an hour a day, per pup, broken into 10 minute intervals, when young, then increasing to about three hours gradually. Depending on what you are training them for, time varies.
Littermates can be competitive and have aggression towards each other, so I have found its best to seperate them. Some may tolerate pairing, but keep a close eye on changing relationships. The worse thing is to have them bullies, that will crush confidence.
7 puppies would require about 7 hours a day (or every other) then feeding, cleaning, walking,, socializing, is a full time job done properly. Usually that many pups results in them having a strong pack desire, if kept together always, and they don't develop a strong connection with people, as if you had one or two.
I would not suggest keeping the pups crated, as they will spend way too much time in them with that many dogs to train. If you are planning on selling them, maybe best to move a few young, keep the best pups to train,

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Usually that many pups results in them having a strong pack desire, if kept together always, and they don't develop a strong connection with people, as if you had one or two.
I have heard stories, just with two puppies raised together, of dogs that seriously injured themselves when separated from their partner because they were so used to always being around another dog that any time alone, even in crates side by side, drove them quite literally insane.

It's definitely something to think about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Julie and Gally for your advice!!
I do realize it is not normal to adopt 6 puppies. They were all scheduled to be put down today, and I just couldn't live with that on my conscious. I have a horse farm, and it is more than big enough to handle all these dogs. I also have many people that work/ride at the farm to help take care of the puppies.
I have had some people interested in adopting (not buying) some of them. Obviously, if that happened, they would already be seperated. I'm just trying to do the right thing, and get them off to the best start that I can.
Somewhat amazed at how cynical people can be...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thank you Julie and Gally for your advice!!
I do realize it is not normal to adopt 6 puppies. They were all scheduled to be put down today, and I just couldn't live with that on my conscious. I have a horse farm, and it is more than big enough to handle all these dogs. I also have many people that work/ride at the farm to help take care of the puppies.
I have had some people interested in adopting (not buying) some of them. Obviously, if that happened, they would already be seperated. I'm just trying to do the right thing, and get them off to the best start that I can.
Somewhat amazed at how cynical people can be...
Awwwwe ... bless your heart! :) I hope they all eventually find forever homes. On a side note: I raised two littermates and either I did it correctly or I just got lucky ... but when Leeo was in the hospital the other week ... his littermate had no issue with Leeo not being present. He acted like he was happy for the " Break " from the little monster! Lol!

Good luck with the little guys! :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Good for you! Socialize, and try to find adopters lol. It is ALOT of work, currently I have 7, with a litter planned for this summer. I also take on an additional rescue or two during the year, to get them working and in permanent homes.
Just be careful to not become so overwhelmed that the dogs suffer due to no time to care for them.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It's great to pull pups from a kill shelter to foster! But keeping 6 pups to adulthood is likely to cause trouble. So if you can find adopters that would be best. It's usually not too hard with puppies. You can also see if any rescues in your area have a transport program (where pups are transported to states with a higher demand).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
We're not cynical, we just run into some really crazy people here.

I'm glad you saved the puppies, I just want them to have the best life possible, and I would hope you get some sleep while you're at it! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts