Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I read somewhere that howling is a relationship-builder, so we do that regularly when the ambulances go by (several times a week, as we live down the street from a hospital). :)

OTOH, when I want my dogs to get really riled up, I begin to frantically dig at the carpet (like a dog digging in the dirt, with my front hands, as fast as I can). I don't know why, but with EVERY dog I've done this in front of... they go BALLISTIC. Body-slamming me, screaming at me excitedly. They never try to join in or anything... but they seem to think it is the greatest/funniest/most exciting thing since sliced bread. I wonder what it means in doggy language--? Anyone know--?

Jen

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I read somewhere that howling is a relationship-builder, so we do that regularly when the ambulances go by (several times a week, as we live down the street from a hospital). :)

OTOH, when I want my dogs to get really riled up, I begin to frantically dig at the carpet (like a dog digging in the dirt, with my front hands, as fast as I can). I don't know why, but with EVERY dog I've done this in front of... they go BALLISTIC. Body-slamming me, screaming at me excitedly. They never try to join in or anything... but they seem to think it is the greatest/funniest/most exciting thing since sliced bread. I wonder what it means in doggy language--? Anyone know--?

Jen
I think they just can tell by your body language that you want to play. Sydney really likes to be chased and if I walk into a room, look at her and then start stomping slowly towards her all exaggerated-like she knows I'm about the chase her and starts running around me. We also play hide and seek where I go behind a door or something and call her. When she starts to peek behind the door I jump out and she barks and wags her tail furiously. It's a little kid enjoying being "scared". I think dogs just kind of learn what play means to you and what your play signals are. So it's more like a language you create together than some universal thing where all dogs think "this" means "this". If that makes any sense.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I like to talk to my puppy :) I know people may think it's crazy, but I just start talking to her, and telling her how much I appreciate her, and she can tell from the tone of my voice that I love her :) I also tell her what I'm thinking, how my day is going, and what I'm planning for us to do that day. I think we should always be communicating with our dogs. Body language isn't everything. They'd love to hear our voices too :)

Dogs pick up thousands of cues from us, and when we genuinely love our dog, it just shows :)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts