Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In dog language, that is.

I"m reading The Other End of the Leash (great book so far!) but I'm only about 30 pages in.

I was curious....

Since I know hugging and kissing dogs on the face are not the best choices (guilty of both :-X) in dog language, how would you say I love you to a dog? Or show other signs of affection?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
That is hilarious! Mine love it, too, but my mini dachshund would love it even more if he could jump up like that! :)

Harper, the mini dachshund, loves loves loves belly rubs! He can't get enough, especially in the morning, it's morning snuggle and belly rub time.

With Abby, our chihuahua dachshund rescue, she loves fetch! Playing an extra game of fetch is a treat for her!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think mick's favorite is me letting him put his paws on my shoulders and he paws my face, or headbutts me. I let him do it only because my favorite is scaring him while he is asleep...

belly rubs too!!
or car rides when it's cool out

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to think Abbie licking me was a signal of affection. I can hold my hand up to her mouth and she'll give it a few licks. or sometimes she'll lay there and just gently lick my arm for awhile.

Apparently those are calming signals/signs she is stressed lol :(

·
Registered
529 Posts
I used to think Abbie licking me was a signal of affection. I can hold my hand up to her mouth and she'll give it a few licks. or sometimes she'll lay there and just gently lick my arm for awhile.

Apparently those are calming signals/signs she is stressed lol :(
I doubt she's doing it at a calming signal :p

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
No, I agree with Herders, I think it is more of a grooming behavior... which is more affection, not an anxious Calming Signal....

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm,

I think I meant more of like, dog body language that would be a sign of affection lol.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My dog loves belly rubs and being rubbed at the base of her ears.

But why do dogs like belly rubs? I know it's a sign of Submissiveness but some dogs could lie there forever while having their bellies rubbed. I love it when a big German shepherd comes in the clinic then rolls over for a belly rub.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I will rub my nose/face into their collars(well necks..not like fabric collars!:wink:)

My boys have ALWAYS done this to my neck when they want to cuddle...so Ive taken the cue from them!:D

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sydney loves her belly rubs. :) I think any cuddling behavior that the dog seems to enjoy would show your love, or whatever equivalent the dog could actually understand.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think your dog learns to read your body language very quickly and very well. I know that if I smile it makes a difference for my girl ... If I throw my hands up, smile or laugh, and say just about anything while having eye contact she'll come running with wildly wagging tail. I think you already have a million little signals you don't even realize you have.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I think your dog learns to read your body language very quickly and very well. I know that if I smile it makes a difference for my girl ... If I throw my hands up, smile or laugh, and say just about anything while having eye contact she'll come running with wildly wagging tail. I think you already have a million little signals you don't even realize you have.
I agree. I think that dogs don't expect us to be dogs and respond the way dogs do.(But that's just my thought, don' shoot me.) So I will continue cuddling my dogs until they pull away from me. I know that different dogs take things different ways, if you were to stare at roonie with big eyes he puffs up and barks (Its a game we play) but if you stare at lady like that she will think she did something wrong, and kodi will think that its play time and he can jump all over me.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
When I look and I see one of my dogs just lying down with their heads on their front paws, their little eyes looking up soulfully and wagging their little stubs at me.........I feel so good as if we have a genuine bond. :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I think sometimes we get a bit too wrapped up in trying to understand doggy language. While licking can be a calming signal and a sign a dog is stressed, there's other reasons that dogs can lick. My dogs will sit around and groom each other and Mia has a real knack for trying to groom me the same way. And while hugging and kissing is not a natural show of affection for a dog, I think many come to understand it is affection. Mia and summer both initiate hugs and want to be held.

In short, I think they know we're not dogs.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I try to take time every morning to give Buffy some extra belly/chest rubs and scratches behind her ears before we get out of bed. It sounds cheesy but I also look her directly in the eyes while petting her when I can. She'll often wind up nuzzling under my neck or start licking my hand.

When she lays behind me on the sofa, I'm always sure to lean back and rest my head on her for a few seconds.

Lately, when we're all still lazing in bed in the morning, Buff's started licking my one cat's ears, and touching noses with him sometimes. I wonder if that's affection toward him. He's always been one to touch noses, so I wonder if he initiated it. Oh I see him nuzzling under her neck sometimes too. It's so cute.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
I think a belly rub is not submissive, just confidence and feels good. Rolling over may be submissive... but the belly rub is insistence, like popping his head under your hand to get scratched.... or sniffing your Peanut butter and jelly sandwich :)

(I think it evolves from Mom licking the pups belly in the litter. Also, if his belly feels warm, then your hand probably feels cool to him... which might also feel good...)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts