Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is where my dogs do their business. It's around the corner part of the backyard. But when I go out to clean up the shit in the shit box lately ive noticed a bad smell. Not 100% urine crazy cat lady smell...but just a really bad smell.

Could it be the gravel there?

I've heard pouring vinegar over this entire area would get rid of the smell true/false? Im really wanting to get rid of it...should I start by removing all the gravel?

What would you do?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is there a solid concrete foundation underneath all that? If not, I would try to give it a good hose down and try to seep some of that grossness out. After I think you should try the vinegar, it's nature and cheap, and it's used as a home remedy to get urine smell out of carpet. Not too sure if this is true, but I do use vinegar to clean out other things and it does take the smell out (everything smells like vinegar for a few hours, but then everything is good after that), so I can see where it can work. It doesn't hurt to try, you can even do a test patch and see if it works before you douse the whole area.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I dunno... but here're are some general suggestions:
1. Can you remove walls to increase air-flow to help dissipate the smells?
2. I like the vinegar wash idea...
3. If it's real bad and persistent, could you buy the bacteria/additive that they put into septic tanks?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys I thought Id update this. I got rid of the smell by doing the vinegar + water solution. I bought 20 liters of white vinegar.

I used a large spray 9 liter spray bucket which I put 3 liters vinegar & 6 liters water per. I did this 3 times over so I used in total 9 liters of vinegar & 18 liters of water totaling 27 liters.

Surprisingly worked very well, no bad smell coming from the shit-box anymore. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts