Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from a country in development and here dogs are often attached all day and neglected.
I am only a student and do not possess money.
Due to some reasons I have to take care of my neighbourgh one's for an extended period of time.
And at night he is being eaten away by mosquitoes which is making me sad.
This is why I wanted to ask how to repel them naturally.
And what can I do to make his life better as he is always attached in the same spot with a collar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My suggestion would be menthol oil like in Vicks vapor rub or a liniment for sore muscles in humans. With a liniment, you can pour it in a circle around his spot but make sure he doesn't get into it. It is not likely you would have household items that would keep them away although I have used Dryer Sheets that you use for laundry. Garlic works but you would have to rub it around the trees or whatever is in the spot where he is chained.

·
Registered
213 Posts
at night he is being eaten away by mosquitoes which is making me sad.
This is why I wanted to ask how to repel them naturally.
Is it possible to take him to where you sleep? I'd imagine you already are protected where you sleep. If health concerns or lack of training training makes that not possible, is it possible to make him some sort of "tent"? Like if you have an extra blanket or something, you could drape it over something to make a protected area.
Maybe (I don't know where you live, so maybe the weather isn't right there for these) you could get an orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime, or other citrus peel, and rub it on the dogs fur. Mosquitos don't like citrus.
And what can I do to make his life better as he is always attached in the same spot with a collar.
Can you walk him? Again, I rally don't know what your life is like, if you even have the time to do that, if that's something people do there, etc.
If not, can you play tug and fetch with him? I don't know how long the rope he's tied to is. If his owner doesn't have dog toys for the dog, you could use basically anything- preferably made of cloth, rope, or something like that.

One thing that you can do no matter what his environment is like is do training. Dogs really like to learn tricks. My dog knows 33 tricks, and her favorite thing to do is learn new ones. Use his food to lure him and teach things to him. Start with easy things, like sit and lie down, maybe he can eventually learn to do things like spin or roll over, even jump into your arms.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You can try lemon juice or lemon balm. Don't soak the fur.. put it on more heavily on ears, face, paws and the belly. See if that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can try lemon juice or lemon balm. Don't soak the fur.. put it on more heavily on ears, face, paws and the belly. See if that helps.
Lemon juice will bleach the fur. Be careful. It's also an acid so it will burn the skin if used to often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts