Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 week old Lab (Bosun) and my 3 year old Rottie mix are getting along well at this point. Bosun jumps all over her and she lets him and often plays back.

My question is really about how to prevent resource guarding from starting. I have noticed each of them taking a special toy or a small marrow bone off into a corner. When they do that, I go over and sit with them and pet them, trade out toys, give them a treat, take the toy away and generally try to remind them that the toys all ultimately belong to me. But, I can see them being most protective about their toys when the other one is around and I don't want either of them to get protective with the other dog.

I keep toys all over the place. There are plenty of chewy things. I play tug with both of them and they sometimes play tug with each other. They each have a kong that they use in their crates.

Any suggestions for how to keep them from developing guarding behavior?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Resource guarding is dog to human. While it's almost impossible to teach dogs the concept of sharing (a human concept) with other dogs, we certainly don't want all out fights over possessions. Usually, dogs favor something....stuffed toys, tennis balls, favorite resting spot, etc., they seem to work those things out with a mimimum of squabbles.
In fact, they often manipulate the other dog into leaving what the other dog has by tossing around that dogs favorite toy or other item...they can be devious!

All out fights over these things are never allowed (your house...your rules). Thankfully, those are quite rare.

One word of caution about all the toys belonging to you....you want to teach them to give it up on command but, you should also let them enjoy their toys without excessive interruption from you....claiming your 'right' to them....that can backfire if you do that every single time they lay down to enjoy a good chew.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resource guarding is dog to human. While it's almost impossible to teach dogs the concept of sharing (a human concept) with other dogs, we certainly don't want all out fights over possessions. Usually, dogs favor something....stuffed toys, tennis balls, favorite resting spot, etc., they seem to work those things out with a mimimum of squabbles.
In fact, they often manipulate the other dog into leaving what the other dog has by tossing around that dogs favorite toy or other item...they can be devious!

All out fights over these things are never allowed (your house...your rules). Thankfully, those are quite rare.

One word of caution about all the toys belonging to you....you want to teach them to give it up on command but, you should also let them enjoy their toys without excessive interruption from you....claiming your 'right' to them....that can backfire if you do that every single time they lay down to enjoy a good chew.
Oh, absolutely. I didn't mean to make it sound like I hound them. I just notice when they seem to be retreating to a corner a lot and engage with them when they seem to do it excessively. I was actually sort of worried that the toys hanging around and available all the time might lead to them deciding that they always have control over them (forgive the anthropomorphism there). It's the way I always did things with my kids. When I have a baby in the house, you never know what you might step on!

Thanks for the post. I feel better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts