Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off this is Pepper:

Any second dog of course needs to be as compatible with her as possible. She is currently about a year and a half old. From what we can tell she is mostly Boxer and Basinji. She loves to box and play. She is a bit hyper, but isn't aggressive. She is about 50 pounds and a little taller than my knee. She barks at the doorbell (which we actually like), but not much more than that. She is pretty close to the vague ideal dog for my boyfriend and I. We wouldn't mind if she was a bit calmer, a little less stubborn, and didn't try to drag us along on walks though :p.

I've been thinking a lot about getting a second dog. I know we will, but I'm just not sure if it will be in say 5 months or 5 years. I want a dog that will work into our lives, work well with her, and work well for our future (kids etc). I don't know a terrible lot about breeds though. I plan on adopting regardless either finding a dog that just works at a pound or finding a breed and going through a rescue.

We both really want an affectionate dog who will get along well (as much as possible) with any dog or human it meets. We enjoy playing with a dog, but we don't want a dog we have to run daily (long walks and short jogs, just no marathons!). I happen to like boxers fairly well (as does pepper, she loves the jowlies), and my boyfriend likes beagles (as does pepper again, she loves their ears), but I'm not really sure what type of dog would suit us best.

Any breed suggestions?

P.s. I'm thinking I'll probably try to get a 2-3 year old dog, am I naive to think that the dog will probably have mellowed from puppy chewing and rebellion by then?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just got my 1st "second dog" about 6 weeks ago.

Breed research is important only to the extent that YOU find out what the breed requires for excersize, training and mental stimulation. You can find all of the info you need at www.akc.org

I have a 3.5 yo German Shepherd mix (Neka). The second dog is an 18 month old English Pointer/Blue Heeler mix (Patchs).

They fit VERY well together. Here is what i used for matching.

1). I made sure that they had the same energy level.
2). I made sure that they were around the same age.
3). I made sure that they liked each other and played without fighting over toys and treats.
4). I made sure that they would both become submissive to each other.
5). I made sure that they had some of the same interests. (They like toys, wrestling around with other dogs, running and chasing, etc)
6). I made sure that they would be OK in Neka's yard and house and that Neka would not become teritorial and try to attack patchs for just being there.

I would suggest that you take ANY posible new dog and expose them to several incounters with your dog in your yard and home. Be sure that YOU take control of EVERYTHING the dogs do and let them both know that you are in control of their meeting. if all goes well after several play dates, Id say you have a winner!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts