Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I'm a newbie owner with a 21 week old female shih tzu dacshund mix named Sherlock. She's really been gravitating towards our hand and feet when my bf and I are just sitting around the house. The bites are really starting to hurt now since her teeth are getting sharper. What we usually do is just say no or put her in her crate when she goes crazy. We let her out when she's calmer. However, I'd like to avoid having to do any of that if possible.

What can I do?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Yep! That sticky should be pretty helpful. Give it a try. Be consistent, and make sure that both you and your bf are on the same page, and respond in the same way EVERY time. And, don't give up. Biting is quite normal for puppies, it's how they play. It can take time and repetition, though. Think in terms of weeks, not days, since you aren't just trying to stop a behavior, but actually teach her a concept.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have quite a few shih tzus running around my house, they can be crazy! Is yours walking enough with you every day?

There are lots of good ways to get them to stop biting, but start with exercise in mind. If she is not getting enough exercise, she will look for other ways to get rid of energy.

When I got my shih tzus they always would bite our feet when watching TV. After a few "shhhht" sounds when they went in for the bite, they stopped. Eventually they got the message. It's really about being their pack leader... when you are, letting them know what is not allowed is very easy just by using your emotions. Some people also find it effective to yell "owwww!" when their dog bites them, to let them know it hurts. When they bite again, they walk away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts