Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our 2 year old Toy Fox Terrier to the dog beach for the second time yesterday, but he doesn't seem to be interested in the water at all. Not only that, but he just seems to dislike or be afraid of it. We tried introducing him to the water by edge but he was just running away from it every time a baby wave came lol...We put him in the water next to us and he just swam away to towards shore quickly :( ....Is there any way to get him accustomed and to LIKE the water and swimming or do some dogs just not mess with water...?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I would try some classical conditioning if he's willing to take treats/other rewards while near the water. Try to have him associate water with good things happening and take it slow and easy. He might not be 'scared' of the water, per se, but if he's not used to being around water, he may just be nervous. I would keep re-exposing him to the water's edge maybe let it wash over his paws some and reward while he's there allowing the experience to occur. Might be a start of getting a water lover. :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My dog HATED the water when we first tried getting her to swim, but then her best puppy friend who is a lab went with us one day, and she ran into the water like she had never had a problem.. He might just need a doggy buddy to show him the ropes!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would try some classical conditioning if he's willing to take treats/other rewards while near the water. Try to have him associate water with good things happening and take it slow and easy. He might not be 'scared' of the water, per se, but if he's not used to being around water, he may just be nervous. I would keep re-exposing him to the water's edge maybe let it wash over his paws some and reward while he's there allowing the experience to occur. Might be a start of getting a water lover. :)
thanks..ill try it the way you mentioned. When I tried with a treat while in the water, he didn't care and just kept swimming towards shore like his life depended on it lol...ive never seen him not do something for a treat until this lol...ill try easing him in the way you mentioned though

My dog HATED the water when we first tried getting her to swim, but then her best puppy friend who is a lab went with us one day, and she ran into the water like she had never had a problem.. He might just need a doggy buddy to show him the ropes!
we actually go with my girlfriend's other dog who loves the water and runs right into the water with me....Enzo will usually just watch lol

·
Super Moderator
11,848 Posts
I've had a succession of serious water dogs - the kind that start whining when they get within a few miles of a large body of water - and none of them just automatically liked it.

Three of the four love to fetch things, so I started by throwing a stick (something I could afford to lose) a short distance into the water on a relatively calm day - gradually increasing the distance. Now I use a ChuckIt to toss tennis balls as far as I can and watch them go after them.

The fourth one got aclimated only because she could not handle standing on the beach watching Esther have all the fun.

It's very important not to push it or force it and to find a place - like a beach - where the dog has an easy and obvious entrance and exit route. Many dogs don't care about pools - probably because they're not sure how their going to get out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts