Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belle is perfectly fine when I leave my parent's house, which is where we live right now. She'll quietly lay in her kennel (if we lock her in there) or on her "perch" on the couch. She used to bark when I'd leave my parent's house, but my dad got her to stop barking just by walking into the room. She feels intimidated by him.

But if I bring her somewhere else and leave her, she flips. I stayed at my sister's apartment one weekend. Brought Belle's kennel, toys, and blankets so she would have something familiar around her. Left for a job interview. Came back 2 hours later - the landlord informed me that Belle had barked and whined the entire time.

Stayed at my other sister's house for a few days. Same thing happened.

So, the problem is that Belle develops a type of separation anxiety when I leave her in a "strange" place. I can't figure out how this is going to work out when I graduate in May and move out. I may have to move far away from here, so there will be no time to get Belle used to the new apartment before I have to start leaving her all day to go to work. I'm afraid she'll be barking and whining all day while I'm at work, which would understandably be too much for the neighbors and landlord.

Leaving her at my parent's house makes me sick. But the only other solution - renting a house instead of an apartment - seems like such an unsure solution, dependent on price and availability.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
First, it's not really separation anxiety, or even a form of separation anxiety. Separation anxiety is a disorder, not just a dog that gets upset when an owner leaves. SA usually involves pretty severe behaviors like scratching at doors til their paws bleed, destroying furniture or the crate, peeing/pooping all over (out of anxiety, not lack of potty training), etc.

Dogs really thrive on routine and consistency. Belle doesn't cry or bark when you leave your parents' home; she's used to it. Staying a few days in your sisters' homes is different. It's not her home, it's not what she's used to, it's not the same routine. So, IMO, it's not unusual for her to be upset when you take her to a strange place that she's not really used to, and then you leave.

When you move, is it possible for you to move into your new apartment a week before you start your job, so that you can BOTH get settled in?
When you leave her, do you leave her with something to do, like toys and treat dispensers (like a frozen, stuffed kong)?
Also, if you can rearrange your schedule so that you walk her, a nice long walk, BEFORE you have to go to work, it may tire her out enough so that she will sleep more while you're at work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think when adjusting to any new location it's going to take the dog some time to get used to being in their crate. The problem seems to not be the crate, but new locations. So, I don't know what you'd be able to really do until the point you're in the new house. Maybe leave her at your parents until you have a few days off to work with her?

Bailey barks for about 10-15 minutes when she's in her crate even now after a few weeks of crate training. She's not nearly so "panicked" sounding anymore, but she still does bark for a little bit. The first day we brought her home she barked for over an HOUR in her crate. There are some things you can do to ease her anxiety of being in the crate, but I don't think any of those things are going to instantly help her, at least they didn't for us.

Some things you can try though are- a ticking clock (mimics a heart beat) or a heartbeat toy or "womb sounds" bear from a baby store, an old shirt that smells like you, a doggy safe heating pad (microwaveable kind that have grain inside), leaving the tv or a radio on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I guess there is no "magic trick" I can do now to ease her anxiety. I'll definitely try leaving the radio on, I thought that would also prevent any barking she may do if she hears other tenants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts