Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...so I got Dante yesterday from the LA County pound. He's such a loving and good dog. He was also neutered yesterday and today you can really tell that he's feeling it. He hasn't been eating much and hasn't been able to go #2. I've only heard him bark about 5 times combined and the first 2 barks sounded more like an adult sneeze than a bark, which I am so happy about. (Barking...not attractive) Anyway, last night was his first night at his new home. He has a dog bed which I put in my room next to my bed. I'm a recent college grad and am still pretty unsettled so my mattress is just on my floor. I had to work for about 15 minutes to get him to lay in his bed, and he still kept trying to get in the bed with me. Finally I had to crate him. I still put the crate RIGHT by my bed...not lying..he was literally like less than a foot away from me. He started whining then after I paid him no attention loudly barking. I grabbed his snout firmly and repeated no in his face for a while...finally after about 15 more minutes of whining he accepted it and went to sleep. This morning I had to go to work so I had to crate him. He apparently whined for 2 hours until my roommates woke up and let him out. He's been pretty chillaxed since. I don't know if it's the neuter or the new home or just him. But I'd like to get him trained ASAP to not whine in the crate. I don't plan on having him crated for lengthy periods...and I plan to get rid of the crate as soon as he gets used to us and I can be confident that he's not going to go totally insane on the house if I let him out.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Have you tried associating the crate to good things? Start doing everything fun and good with him in the crate. Playing with toys? Put the toys in the crate. Feeding him? Do it in the crate. All the while, don't close the door. Only start closing the door once he is no longer afraid of going in the crate. You have to extend the time slowly (I know it's hard to do this when you have places to go, etc. but do it the best you can) and praise him like crazy for not whining and being patient, even if it's for one minute!

I'm sure I missed out on a bunch of things so someone else will be here to give you more tips.

But please do not scold your dog and do not grab his snout like that. That only creates a bad relationship between the two of you. The dog was barking because he was scared, and he felt safe being close to you. Dogs often excel in any type of training/behavior adjustment when positive reinforcement is used, not negative reinforcement :)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Dogs make noise, particularly when they're afraid.

Think of it from your dog's perspective for a moment. He just had surgery and he's still sore. Right after, a stranger comes and takes him to a place he's never been. He tries to cling to this new person...after all, he has food, so sticking with him is probably the safest option. Now, he's put into a crate, not yet being taught if this is a good thing or not. Will he be left in it forever? Will the strange man feed him again? What if the strange man leaves him? He's been left before...

I think even James Bond would crack at this point, let alone if the strange man, his only source of food, suddenly was angry and grabbed his face. I know I'd start whining pretty quick.

If you live somewhere that barking is not cool...a dog might not be the best choice of pets. Even well-trained dogs that are settled in to a loving home will bark and whine at times. This poor guy is going through a lot...he's gonna talk.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The poor guy has been through a LOT in the past couple days. New home, new schedule, new owner and surgery to boot... You need to be patient and understand that training takes time. The best tactic for whining is just to ignore him. Punishing him (grabbing his snout and yelling) is tempting but will probably work against you in the long run. He will associate the crate with scary things (angry yelling) and will become more frightened and anxious to get out = more whining and barking. Also, your roommate mustn't let him out of his crate when he's whining and fussing. This is really important. It teaches him that whining and barking works and he'll double up his efforts to get out.

Taquitos suggestions are good. You want him to love the crate, to feel like its a safe, quiet place to hang out and not a scary place to escape from. A kong filled with peanut butter and frozen can do a lot to make a dog like the crate.

The best thing to do here though is ignore the whining. Resist the temptation to punish (he will either become more frightened or be gratified by the attention - even if its bad). Buy yourself some earplugs and settle in for a few nights of annoyance. 15 minutes is practically nothing for a first night home, I would say you got off easy. It might bug your neighbours but one week of whining is way better than dealing with it incorrectly now and having it become a chronic problem. Be aware that there will be a period called "extinction" its when the behaviour escalates right before it stops. Think about opening a door. You pull, pull a little harder, then really tug and shake the door before giving up and looking for another entrance. This behaviour might take the same path. Just know that it doesn't mean the technique isn't working. Quite the opposite.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Agreed. Dogs take about 3 days to stop whining if you can ignore them.
1. How old is Dante?
2. What breed?
3. How much exercise, interaction with you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) A little over a year
2) He's a terrier mix, looks mostly Border terrier
3) He has been going on 3 walks a day, 15 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes mid-day, 15-20 minutes at night.

He JUST got neutered on Monday so I haven't over done it. Since Monday nights he's become much better. I live with two girls who spoil him which I've had to make them stop. But last night I didn't put him in the cage, I let him walk around my room until he found a spot to sleep. He has a dog bed but he just didn't want to get into it. He would get up and move every 15 minutes....at least while I was awake. But he was quite and understood he couldn't get in the bed with me, but ended up sleeping right by the bed. Today he when I got home he was ecstatic! I let him out of the cage and he was jumping around barking happily. I don't mind barking, just not at night when he know's we are going to sleep. He seems to be feeling much better after the neuter and is really settling in well to his new home. Also, he's pretty well potty trained...but when I took him out this morning, I found worms in his stool. We are going to the vet on Saturday, it's the earliest I can take him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I crate my dog in the morning, I take the t-shirt I had on when I went to sleep in and place it in the crate. This helps. It has your sent on it and will make him feel a little better. I know it helps my dog. Every morning i do this with a new shirt. My daughter puts hers and mine in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts