Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my puppy at 8 weeks old, I gave her a puppy kong and she had no idea what to do with it, and neither did I. After some failed attempts using peanut butter on the bottom then filling with kibble and treats, I gave up. Then I found Simpawtico's video on How to Use a Kong (https://youtu.be/LwZI1isnvPQ) on Youtube and learned to fill it only with wet kibble with a small scoop of peanut butter on top to begin with and praised when she eats out of it. I stopped feeding from a bowl and only fed from her puppy kongs. Once she got the hang of it, I started freezing the filled kongs. She has gotten faster and faster at getting the kibble out but if it is frozen for too long (more than half the day) she gives up on it very quickly as the food is not coming out quickly enough for her.

What would be the next step to make it slightly trickier without her losing interest? I don't want to jump to super tricky and have her lose interest.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You can give it to her semi-frozen, or put ingredients that easily crumbled, or loosely pack drier ingredients so they come out more easily... Puppies also develop the attention span and commitment to emptying Kongs when they get older.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I mix canned food with dry kibble, which seems to occupy my dog for longer. Not sure if that's an option but it's worked well for us! Or maybe start timing the amount of time it's in the freezer and slowly increase it until it's fully frozen? Or freeze it with some space in the top and add in some non-frozen stuff to get her started. The rest might start to defrost a bit more as she's working on the opening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts