Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone had problems to keep their pets calm on bonfire night when so many fireworks are used. My dog gets really stressed and it is hard to keep him calm and relaxed. I've tried many tips but I need to know more from people who have experienced this. I have surfed the internet and found some useful tips but any advice from you would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sandra
x

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Don't take the dog to a bonfire.
Yes that old story about the man who went to doctor and said doc my arm hurts whenever I raise it above my shoulders, doc said stop lifting arm above shoulders and it will stop hurting. (something like that):)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

I don't take my dog to the bonfire but bonfire night is on 5th November. And everyone in the U.K celebrate it by using fireworks. Because of the noise and sounds, my dog gets really stressed and scared. It is hard to distract him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is anyone aware of bonfire night also known as Guy Fawkes night in the U.K? If yes, you must be knowing how hard it is for pets to keep calm.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Bonfire night = Guy Fawkes night = Something like the fourth of July in the US. There a fireworks going off, everywhere. It has nothing to do with taking the dog anywhere.

OP, the best I can give you are things like thundershirts, and maybe seeing a vet for a sedative. Oh and sometimes white noise can help quite a bit, depending on your location. It's hard to truly work on desensitization for such an occasional thing.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Give melatonin before dark. Dosage is 1 mg per 20 lbs of dog weight up to 3 mg. Giant breeds can have up to 6 mg. You can get Melatonin at grocery or drug stores in the vitamin/supplement or sleep aid section. No prescription needed. Be aware that they come in 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 mg pills, so double ck what mg pill it is.
If your dog is elderly, pregnant, on any medications or has any medical conditions check with your vet before giving.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Over the summer, any time someone set off a firework, we would click+treat the dog. We have neighbors who will randomly set them off any time of year, and the doesn't seem phased by it anymore (when he used to run around and bark and get all upset).

·
Registered
281 Posts
My dog went crazy whenever there were fireworks and he was running all over and barking. Eventually I just grabbed him by the collar and sat him down right next to me.
The second he couldn't run all over he chilled out and fell asleep.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I suppose it depends on the kind of relationship you have with your dog, but my dog used to bark all night on 4th of July (tons of illegal fireworks set off all over the neighborhood). The following year I acknowledged the first few fireworks briefly, then continued on as if nothing was happening. About 20 minutes later she quieted down and even took a nap. Only major downside to my method is that she becomes a velcro dog during these events and will not go more than ~5 meters from me. And if she gets separated from me during these events she instantly starts to bark and run around.

Basically think of yourself as a beacon of calming energy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like your dog had a fireworks phobia -- mine does too and it's pretty extreme.

The thundershirt is really helpful, I'd get one. The other thing I've tried is DAP, dog appeasing pheremone, which helps to calm the dog down. Note that it doesn't work for all but does seem to help mine. I'd just try to help your dog find a place where he or she feels as comfortable as possible, put on the thundershirt, and let them know that they will be OK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I am going to try and implement this tonight. Hopefully, my dog will not be as scared as last time. I've never tried a thundershirt on him before. So, I could give a try. I am not in the favour to give any kind of medication to him. But, I might try a high carb meal so that he feels sleepy. Got that idea when I came across this post about pet safety on bonfire night. Thanks again. :)

Good luck if anyone is in the U.K. x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts