Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup just got groomed last weekend and his leg hair is longer than his body...He keeps getting mats and I dont know what to do. I brush him with a slicker twice a day. Am I using the wrong brush? He is a mix of shih zu and bison and has cotton like hair. I'm thinking of just getting him all shaved down and start over because i jsut cant get the matts out. Am i doing something wrong? His hair on his legs are about 3-4 inches long if that helps any. Thank You for any replies

·
Registered
128 Posts
A metal comb will help you since it goes right down to the skin. use it to find the knots and work it out with the slicker and the comb. Part the hair when you brush him. I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the preplys. I think I just might get him shaved down and start over with the prober combs and brushes :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
They also make special mat combs that are smooth on one side, and sharp on the other to cut the mats out of the fur. You put the smooth side right up against the skin and then brush it up through the mat to remove it. I got one for Zoey a couple of months ago when she was getting matted up pretty bad.. It worked wonders :) I wouldn't use it too often though, just to get the initial mats out with out and then keep on top of grooming with a comb all the way down to the skin.

This is what a mat comb looks like: http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf.../469352/catid/213/vname/Safari_DeMatting_Comb

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I got him shaved all down yesterday. I miss his what I call Puffs on his legs :( Now he looks like mutt...even thou he is but when he had hair he looked more Shih tzu and fancy with his puffs...Wish I couls upload a pic of what he looked like before i shaved him down...Oh well its not like it wont grow back. The groomer said that it takes almost a year for there hairs to thicken up thats why he was matting so bad...didnt quit undrstand that because he is a mutt...any one ever heard of that?

Cant upload a pic but here is a pic of his puffs :) http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/jerseygirl60922/kidsandJacksonmay2009015.jpg

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Aw, he's cute. His coat looks very soft and cottony, the kind that matts when you look at it wrong. Part of it could be (depending on his age) puppy coat and coat change. If thats the case, the adult coat could be coarser, or it could be softer...but during the change, matting happens in mere seconds..LOL Get a good slicker brush, and a metal greyound comb. If you are thoroughly brushing and combing daily, its impossible for him to become matted. Make sure you are getting all the way to the skin, in armpits, etc. You will have to stretch and bend legs here and there to get all the way to the skin in some spots. Use a brushout spray, to prevent damage to the coat, as coat damage causes faster matting. The comb should glide thru the coat, all the way at the skin, like a knife thru butter when he is properly combed out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts