Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine did not whine much at all (he is 12 weeks now; I got him 2 weeks ago-at 10 weeks)
He whined only during the first 2 nights. What many people told me, and it worked with mine too is to IGNORE. Buy a pair of earplugs and ignore her.
Set an alarm clock close to your ears so it would go through the earplugs and wake up when you decided to - at 1 and 4 am,
take her out (no play, just a quiet " good girl" and put her in) and then...again IGNORE.
Mine got the message very easily.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, I am using the crate.
Maybe you are right.
I know that in my case it worked. Whenever he whined I woke up, took him out, said in a quiet voice " good boy" and then put him back in, and give him a treat.
So there was no way for him not to go back in if it was 3 am. Plus he got no interaction during the night hours. No playing, no talking to him, no petting...

I also use an ex-pen during the day. He is free in the kitchen only under supervision. When I am in my office he is in an ex-pen with me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Using a crate is NOT the same thing as crate training.

"Crate training" is when you take the time - as long as it takes - to help your pup feel happy, safe, and secure inside their crate, making sure they're not afraid of it or upset by it.
I think my pup is fine. He goes by himself there when I say "crate" as he knows he gets a treat once inside. He does not whine, and he does not show any signs of being upset. Once inside he settles and starts chewing on a nylon bone He stays in the crate only during the night or when I need to know that he is safe.
Otherwise, he is with me in the office, or in the kitchen / hallway. I really don't think he is upset at all by the crate.
But I had to let him there 2 nights - other than going out to pee whenever he was whining, I did not let him out from the crate between 12 am and 6 am. It worked for me. Right now he runs happily around the house with my older one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.