Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time dog owner. I now am a mother of an eight week old male Corgi mix. He is sweet, vocal, and seems pretty smart.

We currently keep him in the crate when no one is home. However, when one of us is home, we have a small tiled room, and have given about a 1/4 of the room to him. This area includes his crate, food/water bowls, pee pad, and toys.

With this setup, we have had great success when it comes to peeing time. He has now peed only on the paper (nowhere else in the space we gave him) for the last three days we've had him.

However, pooping has been a different story. He barks, and cries as if he has to go, whether he's in the crate or out in the space. We place him on the pad and do the usual "go potty". But, he hardly ever wants to go on the pad.

So, we will bring him outside, and keep him close (i'll explain why below), and hope he poos outside. This is when he will go. OR, sadly he will go when he is able to escape out of his little space through a small crack, and poo's where he shouldn't.

Is it possible the part of the room we gave him is too small for him to do the whole "puppy poo ritual" i've noticed some dogs do? (The sniffing and circling). I certainly don't mind giving him more space, we were just holding off until he seemed very comfortable with the pad in the smaller space. Or, should I try something else?

In a perfect world we would let most pottying happen outside. But, he is hardly vaccinated, and I live in an area where our un-fenced yard (we're renting) is visited frequently by deer, skunks, etc. So we are extremely wary as of right now. Any help would be great!

Sorry for the long read.

TL;DR: Wondering if my 8 week old Corgi boy needs more space to feel comfortable pooping indoors.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
How have you acted when he has pooed inside on a spot where you didn't want him to?

Have you talked to your vet about disease risk in your area? Unless your puppy is going to be pottying in an area outside that is frequented (and pottied in) by a lot of other dogs, I'd take him outside to do his business. Most wildlife aren't much of a concern for a leashed puppy (and I would take him out on a leash or a line), at least from an infectious disease standpoint.

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
How have you acted when he has pooed inside on a spot where you didn't want him to?

Have you talked to your vet about disease risk in your area? Unless your puppy is going to be pottying in an area outside that is frequented (and pottied in) by a lot of other dogs, I'd take him outside to do his business. Most wildlife aren't much of a concern for a leashed puppy (and I would take him out on a leash or a line), at least from an infectious disease standpoint.
There are several wild animals that carry and transmit canine parvo, though you're right - that's a rare source of infection. There are, however, areas in the US right now having pretty serious lepto outbreaks and wild animals transmitting that in urine is sadly pretty common. So it's definitely a 'call the vet' situation, because it's so area dependent.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
You can get an X Pen and a rabbit pan (rabbit pans are for rabbit cages and you can get them at Tractor supply) and some shavings or shredded paper. Put the X Pen up around the rabbit pan and put the shavings or shredded paper in the pan. Most puppies will immediately "get" that the pan is for poop and pee.

You can eventually move the pan outside and then, eventually eliminate the pan and just have some shavings in the yard.. eventually removing those as well.

This is not 100% fool proof but it can aide in the process and give puppy an alternative away from possible contaminated areas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly we have an uprise of Lyme disease here, and with all the deer, my vet wants us to wait until we get that vaccination for him

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I like what 3GSD4IPO wrote. That is similar to what we used to do with newspaper many years ago:
1. Cover the area with newspaper.
2. When the dog poops, remove half the newspaper and leave a 1 inch square of soiled newspaper to retain the smell in the middle of the remaining newspaper. Continue to remove half the newspaper and to apply a fresh scent, until you have only 2 sheets of newspaper.
3. Continue with 2 sheets of newspaper, but place the smell near the corner, farthest from the bed, food & water.
4. When the pup poops consistently in the same corner on each fresh [and scented] newspaper for a week, try reducing to just one sheet of paper.
5. And then if the pup continues in the same corner for a week, try reducing to a half sheet. If the pup ever misses the paper, move back to the larger size. When you are down to half a sheet for a week or two, you can try moving the paper outside, and then just apply the scent outside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I basically have the same kind of question, so I hope it’s okay to post it here. I posted this question last night in another thread but never got an answer. To add onto this already written post I copied, she pooped again last night in the crate after I had gone down to let her out for a bathroom break. She peed but didn’t do anything else. We made her crate bigger for her so maybe that’s the cause of it? Here’s my original post. Any help would be appreciated. This is the third time since we’ve had her that’s she’s done this and I’m not sure what to do.

Hello all, here's the basics for my puppy (who is now 3 months!)

1.) Age Of Dog/Puppy: 12 weeks and 3 days
2.) Length Of Ownership: A little over 5 weeks
3.) Method Of House Training: Crate Training
4.) Breed Of Dog/Puppy: German Shepherd and Lab mix
5.) Where Dog/Puppy Is Kept: She's kept downstairs only because there's no room in my bedroom to keep her there yet. Have to do major overhaul of my room.
6.) Where Accidents Occur: Crate
7.) How Long Its Gone On: This happened last night and just earlier tonight when we got home from dinner.
8.) How Long Dog/Puppy Is Alone When It Occurs: Last night she was only in the crate for almost 4 hours when I went down to take her out to go. Tonight she was left in there for about 2 hours.
9.) Whom Is The Primary Caregiver: I am
10.) Any Background History That Might Be Relevant: These are the first poop accidents she's had in the crate. Her poop has been half solid and liquid for a few days and I've tried to cut down on amount of food slightly as well as trying to make sure she doesn't eat things she's not supposed to. She's eaten some paper and part of a plastic lid to an empty frosting container (it was cleaned of any frosting prior to her chewing it up). Our house is a bit cluttered so things fall on the floor a lot and she gets them in her mouth. I try to keep an eye on her as best I can when I'm home as I'm a student and have to go to class during the day. My brother and parents help me out in taking care of her and I've asked them to cut down a bit on her food when they feed her as well as treats. I'm brand new at owning a dog (I'm 24 and still live at home) so this is both frustrating and worrisome to me. She's never pooped in the crate until now and I don't know what to do. I try to get her to pee on the puppy pad but she also still pees on the carpet. We've started to take her for short walks every day and try to give her a routine. We feed her 3x a day but I'm not sure if that's also good for her since she's pooped 2 times in the crate already. She also starts puppy classes on the 9th of December but I'm not sure how much this will help. We also have a small backyard (it's really more of a patio) and have started taking her out there more. She does pee and poop outside but still pees and poops on the carpet inside. I don't know what I'm doing wrong so any help would be appreciated. Also, for those who are worried she won't have enough room to run around, lots of people in our neighborhood (we live in townhomes) have dogs big and small.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I posted about a month ago, but I don't know if you read it.
1. A puppy has to have a consistent diet for at least two weeks to have solid poop. Try cutting out All treats for a few weeks, and provide meals at the same time every day. You can include baby carrots, steamed green beans, and a teaspoon (increasing to a tablespoon, if effective) of plain, canned pumpkin to help with the diarrhea.
2. Diarrhea can slow crate training efforts, that's why it is important to keep the diet clean and consistent for two weeks or longer.
3. Rule #1: If she is not in the crate, then she has to be watched 100% of the time, otherwise, she will pee where ever she wants. If you let her out of the crate, and take a phone call, she will take that time to pee on the carpet. She doesn't know better, yet. You can watch her, and she will sniff or look around, or squat, before she pees. When you learn to see these signals (unique to each dog), you can interrupt her and rush her outside. BUt, you have to be watching her to catch that opportunity.
4. In the crate, she may also whine, or rustle around before she goes to the bathroom. With diarrhea, it may not be as clear cut. If you notice her stirring, then ask potty? and take her outside, then say potty. If she potties [pee within about 30 seconds, poop within 3 min.] then give her 3 pieces of kibble, and say Good Dog. If she doesn't potty, after about 3 minutes, then take her back in and put her back into the crate.

Be sure to clean the crate with vinegar and enzyme cleaner to remove the smell, which tells her where it is OK to potty.

Let us know what happens. And pls post a picture of Kiki.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts