Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little back story on my dog. We got Titan as a puppy. He is a St.Bernard and Rottweiler cross. As a puppy, we often took him to pet parks and on walks. While working, we kept him in a large kennel and then would walk him when we got home because he was a chewer.

When he was about 1.5 he started to become a bit aggressive so we went through a training program to help. This was pretty intense leadership training program that involved hand feeding every meal. He was getting better until he broke free from me while walking in our yard (while 6 months pregnant). He attacked the neighbors dog who would often come after him while we were on walks. The dog had some bite marks but made a full recovery. However, another witnessing neighbor shot Titan twice. He barely lived but became more fearful.

After being shot, we moved him to my parent's farm. There he had indoor outdoor access and was sometimes with other dogs. We played with him whenever we came out (several times per week). He is still very friendly with us.

We recently bought our own farm and fenced off an area for him. He has his own large garden shed. We also adopted another small Cavalier King Charles that is mostly a house dog. The two dogs know each other but do not really get along. They both like our baby but got into a fight over him and our attention the other day.

I know that banishing Titan to an outdoor pen will only make his problem worse, however I fear that his life depends on him not hurting anyone or any animal. I have contemplated buying him a muzzle so he can get used to the other dog and be safe around my baby. I can bring him in to our laundry room at night to sleep, but then put him out when the other dog is inside. I would love to rehome him because he is a great source of worry for me, but I know he would be euthanized.

As far as more training, we have already put thousands of dollars into this free dog that still cannot be trusted. Any ideas for how to make is life less miserable while keeping everyone else safe?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What kind of aggressive behavior does he show toward humans?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has run up to and barked at strangers while bearing teeth, but has never shown aggression towards people he is familiar with.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I guess I'm not sure why you're calling him aggressive or saying he can't be trusted. Almost any dog, given the chance, would get in a fight with a dog who "would often come after him on walks". He likes your little dog but they fight over resources--normal. He barks at strangers--also normal.

It sounds like you need to work on basic traning (so he won't break away from you on walks), and resource guarding between the dogs (the Jean Donaldson book called "Fight!" can help you to deal with this). But he really sounds like a normal dog.

What was the "aggression" that made the trainer put you on the "leadership program"? What other things were involved in this "leadership program"?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts