Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I missed her so much, I just want to lavish her with hugs and kisses! But she gets so excited, even to the point of barking the other day--which I do NOT want to become a habit! I've been reading online to ignore her for five minutes or until she exhibits calm behavior and I think I'm going to try it. Anyone think this is a good idea or have further advice to offer? What is your philosophy on greeting your dog when you come home?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Pepper used to be really bad at jumping up when I would get home. I would make sure there was a toy by the door and would give her the toy as soon as I got home so she would re-direct to that instead of jumping up. She's 5 now and still goes and finds a toy when I walk in the door. It's so cute, sometimes she can't find one right away and runs around looking for one :)

I could never ignore my dogs when I got home and they were excited to see me. I know lots of people say that's best, but it just seemed cruel to me.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Ignoring is a good way to teach dogs to be calm when you get home. I would typically ignore my dog/turn away from him when he attempted to jump on me in excitement. When he kept his feet on the floor, he got his pets. He barks at me, but I don't care, I just don't want him jumping. If you don't want your pup barking, turn away and ignore him until he is quiet. Then, try to give him his pets. He will probably get excited and bark again. Turn and ignore. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Uuuuuggghhh. The dog I have now, 11 months old, was very.....um...enthusiastic about greeting when I got home. Bouncing around like an idiot, mouthing my hand if I touched him right then etc. Super aggravating. But I also prefer not to ignore my dogs when I get home, I like that he's happy to see me..... So I taught him a chain of commands which culminated in " calm ". He knows what the word means now. He hasnt gotten to point he is automatically " calm " when he greets me every single time, but mostly does, and otherwise now I can tell him " calm " and he knows that means to sit, be still, look me in the face, and hold still and not mouth and act excited while I pet and greet him. I am a big believer in giving the dog an alternative behavior rather than just trying to cut out a behavior!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts