Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you no what I mean The little crusty things in the corners of her eyes that get really hard to get out if you leave them.
I have had a pretty busy week and I have to admit i probably wasnt cleaning her face as much as normal so I let It get on to of me now the are all crusty and hard.
I dont want to cut them out as I dont trust myself with scissors at her face.

does any one no an easy way to get them out and to get her to hold still. :D

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Probably not the same for me since my dogs have short hair. I wipe their eyes out with baby wipes when they get the occasional "eye booger". It might be helpful for you to have the hair around the eyes trimmed short if it is a problem. Forgive my ignorance if that is a big no no for your breed. I wouldn't own a long haired dog for that reason. Mine would be trimmed short if I did. lol

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If Zoey has them I'll take them out when I give her a bath.. (She gets a bath once a week) I take one of those tiny childrens tooth brushes and use it as a little scrubby comb and brush them out. She doesn't mind it at all, she closes her eyes and rests her head on the edge of the tub.. she likes it when I brush the top of her nose with it :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose part of the reason they are hard to get out right now Is partly becaue she hasnt been at the groomers for a while( she has an apointment next week) her eye hair is normally kept short. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I suppose part of the reason they are hard to get out right now Is partly becaue she hasnt been at the groomers for a while( she has an apointment next week) her eye hair is normally kept short. :)
I'd try a warm thin wash cloth. Sometimes the warmth helps depending on how "crusty" it is. If you can't get it out I'd wait until she goes to the groomer so you don't cut her when trying to trim it off.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I use a cotton ball soaked in warm water. Apply it like a compress to soften the the crusties. Than either take a small comb or a toothbrush and comb or brush it out. Make sure it is really soft so that it will not pull the hair out. I use Angel Eyes for my little Maltese. She no longer has the eye crusties!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Daily use of sterile saline solution to gently and safely cleanse, then use a soft cloth (or a cotton ball) to blot excess off. This will effectively prevent the crusting, AND, it will also soften already hardened goop, making it easier to remove without hurting the dog. I've used a fine-toothed flea comb on dogs I've fostered who have crusted eye goop, after flushing the eyes with the sterile saline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To get rid of the big nasty ones..warm washcloth with just warm water while she sits on your lap. Soak, and slowly gently wipe a couple times. If they don't come off, then rewarm the cloth and do it over again until it comes clean. Take it verrrry slow...like you would with an infant. She might not want it at first..but hang in there and don't give up.

The importance of keeping the 'sand' out of your babies eyes can't be stressed enough. Not keeping them clean can lead to eye problems like staining as well as bigger issues when they are older.

Keep a box of unscented, organic wipes (baby ones or dog doesn't matter, I use Earthbath ones just make sure they don't have anything to irritate their eyes in them) next to your bed, and every day when we wake up take a wipe and gently wash your dogs face, and remove the eye boogers..or in the evening when you climb in bed. If you rather, keep one next to your sofa, or in your car. Where ever it is that you hang out with your dog.

For us, it's part of our bonding in the mornings and evenings. Depending on the day and our schedules. I also keep a stash of cheap 25 cent human toothbrushes on hand and slap some DOG toothpaste on one and give him a little brushing...then let him chew on the brush.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.