Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this question was once asked before, but I would like to know that what do you guys do when a dog is not as playful as we want them to be?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think a lot of it just comes down to who the dog is as an individual. Many dogs, especially once they mature, just aren't that playful. There's also the possibility that the lack of playfulness isn't so much due to personality but instead confidence, so in that case you'd just want to build the dog's confidence and slowly introduce them to play activities that they enjoy.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
There's a great book if you are unfamiliar with play between dogs/humans called Play Together, Stay Together. It gives great ideas for how to play with your dog :) There are lots of things you may be doing that are games for your dog, which you wouldn't have considered to be games :)

I have one of those dogs who don't "play" as much as I'd like. He's happiest playing by himself (shaking and running around with his stuffy in his mouth). What I have realized is he DOES play with me, just not in the sense that we play fetch. We trick train everyday, and that is a form of "play" for him. It's a game of trying to figure out what I want basically lol! But he enjoys it a lot :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had one dog who didn't enjoy traditional play such as anything with a toy or ball or agility. She was a husky/shepherd mix who loved being outdoors and the snow. I just tried to find things she was interested in and made game out of that. For instance, she loved snow so when it did snow, I would throw snowballs for her to pounce on. We also did some nose work games of hiding treats in the house or outside for her to find and eventually instructing her to do so. Most of the time though, she enjoyed being asleep on her bed haha.

Maybe find the things your dog loves (nose work, chase, tug, agility) and work from there. Does your dog enjoy any activities?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My current dog doesn't enjoy traditional play either. The ONLY normal game she enjoys is with the Flirtpole, otherwise she understands the concepts, but doesn't enjoy them. She CAN fetch, and will with lots of encouragement, but after 5 or 6 times she quits on me.

But like others say there's multiple ways to "play" all of Sans' happens to be physically taxing on myself as well so I have to be up for a workout too.
She likes to be chased, she likes chasing, she likes to dig, she likes being off leash and able to smell all the smells, she's always liked a good game of hide and seek, and she likes playing with other dogs. She really just likes to RUN. She likes biking, quadding, and zooming through a field for no reason, but to run...

Flirtpole combines all her chasing needs. It tires her out best when we're in a large area and I make her wait while I run across the field to give myself a huge head start. I give her a hand signal or say, "OKAY, GET IT" and she comes ripping after me. I run as hard as I can away from her and she catches up in like 3 seconds flat. Then we're playing traditional flirtpole. I have a lot of fun, despite how tiring it is.

Sans is a weight loss dog.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I do think it is an individual dog's personality and what you consider play is not theirs. I spent the first 2 months with Zoey sitting on the floor trying to get her to play, bringing her outside to play fetch and whatever I could think of for her to play. All she did when I sat on the floor is to go lay in her bed and all she wanted to do outside is grab a fallen branch and have me chase her which I won't do if the branch is too large.

It's 3 years later and we don't play except when we go outside and I chase her and she runs around the backyard. Having me chase her is all she likes to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts