Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get my puppy to go somewhere that doesn't want to? For example, at night I want him to come into my room to go to sleep (he pees in the kitchen). However, he doesn't want to be cooped up, and so I end up picking him up and carrying him into my room. I also don't want to use a "come" command, because I've heard that it's poisoning the cue to get him to come somewhere he won't end up liking. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
619 Posts
First, you have a puppy.
He needs training in small steps. Start with him in a collar and on a leash. Have some tasty treats ready, like his kibble. Allow him to venture just a few feet away from you. Say his name and Come in a firm assertive voice. Gentle pull on the leash to get him moving and allow a smell of the kibble. If he moves toward you, then praise and reward. Repeat. Repeat. Only train for about 5 minutes. Gradually as the pup learns you can increase the distance. Eventually the collar and leash won't be needed.

I would not be concerned if the pup cares where he goes. He will want to be with you.

I began this way with my pup. Now, he is 3 yo and has a good response to "Shadow, Come.", when on leash or off leash. This has even been advanced to an Off leash whistle call back. He has been about 200 meters distance with a whistle recall and immediate return. This has even been successful when my dog was out of my sight. The little twerp was in bushes over a hill from me. Don't know what he was doing, but he returned covered in pollen from the flowering bushes.

·
Banned
619 Posts
When my MiniS was a pup, he would freeze during a walk if the color to the floor tile changed. It took a couple days work to get him comfortable crossing different colored tile.

The next hurdle was crossing the gap between the elevator car and the floor. He would freeze at this point too. Here again, it took several days and me holding the elevator to work with my 12-14 week old pup.

But in both cases, patience and treats and gentle tugs on the leash eventually got him over these obstacles. Now, he doesn't hesitate and is frequently jumping over changes in terrain. We have so much road and sidewalk destruction its tough to go anywhere on consistent ground.

Like I said..."He will want to be with you."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts