Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i keep seeing alot of people do the whole cooking meals for the dog...im really interested in doing this for my dog especially after reading that its not much price difference and that it seems to be healthier for them..

im just kinda at a loss on how to get started and how to introduce this to her..

right now her vet has her on Prescriptive canned dog food till the end of the month because she was anemic...

any advice?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Read the stickies at the top of this forum.
There are several Yahoo Groups you could join.
Read everything you can find at the library or bookstore.
Don't worry about the fact that there are differing opinions on precisely how it should be done. Just choose what you're comfortable with whether it be a raw Prey Model or b.a.r.f. diet, cooked diet, or some combination.
Personally, although I'll be feeding primarily a prey model raw diet, I'm not a purist so my pup will probably be getting some veggies and fruits on occasion if it likes them. And it will be getting some kibble in it's interactive toys (most likely Taste of the Wild).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Ruby,
I'm begining to look into home made meals for my two dogs. I think that most of the stickys above here are for raw feeding? I'm not ready to venture into raw though.
Anyway, right now I'm doing nothing but research! So, here is a link with lots of dog nutrition info for whatever path you take:

http://www.dogaware.com/

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ruby,
I'm begining to look into home made meals for my two dogs. I think that most of the stickys above here are for raw feeding? I'm not ready to venture into raw though.
Anyway, right now I'm doing nothing but research! So, here is a link with lots of dog nutrition info for whatever path you take:

http://www.dogaware.com/
Thank you...yea i noticed the stickys were mostly for raw feeding..im still not ready for that either

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I love B-Naturals newletters and dogaware.com. Both sites have several articles on feeding all different ways from best kibbles to topping the kibble to home cooking to raw to feeding dogs with health issues. Both site owners have been or are about to be published. Look up Mary Straus's book on Amazon. You can read a considerable amount online. I would be buying it if I was cooking for a healthy dog but my healthy dog is on raw!

Feed meat. Cheap and tough is fine. As much variety as you can muster. Eggs good. Organs good in moderation. I was very surprised that it doesn't cost as much as you would think. Dogs are mostly smaller than humans and fat packs a huge punch calorie wise as well so a mostly meat diet doesn't look like much food but has plenty of calories to keep a dog happy and at proper weight.

Use nutritiondata to plan how much to feed. My sick dog gets 1 gram meat protein per pound body weight and 20 calories per pound body weight. So she gets 40 grams of protein and 800 calories for her 40 pounds. She gets pumpkin but a healthy dog could get a bit of liver plus meat plus any grain or starchy veggies you like to add calories. Fat is fine for healthy dogs, both dogs' coats have improved since they get more fat these days. More protein is fine, Lew Olsen mentions up to 3 grams per pound. Neither of my dogs get anything like that, both end up with 1.2 grams per pound dog.

For my cooked food dog I put the meat into a pot and heat it until the meat is browning and smelling really good then dump in the starch and too much water and cook at a simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool down on the burner. Hamburger works so well this way. Or I roast chicken or pork and chop the boned meat in the food processor. Lots of work and I have to make human food at the same time as it smells so good! I add in 1/2 teaspoon of powdered dried egg shell saved during the week for every pound of raw meat. If you use red meats, heart, organs then that may be it, a balanced diet. I found Sassy needs a bit of iron and zinc to bring the diet up to NRC levels and use a cut up human supplement as I am not a fan of the yeast, flaxseed and liver flavor in dog supplements. Here are the old recs. http://http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309034965&page=44 Add in some canned oily low mercury fish like salmon, mackerel or sardine and you are in good shape!

I can cook 4 days of food in my largest pot and not have to freeze it. Works great. Sassy gets 3 meals a day, I pack one day per container and by the end of the day she has had the right amount of food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts