Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It absolutely baffles my mind that this is an issue given my entire childhood we were breeders of Miniature Schnauzers who always loved to play and then my first dog I raised on the farm dog was a Chocolate lab who has no concept of STOP playing.

It's kind of a foreign concept to me, a dog not wanting to play.

I have just adopted a 3.5 month (14 week) old Bernese Mountain Dog mix puppy (mixed with what, who knows, the rescue didn't even know if she is a legitimate Bernese or just has some very fortunate markings.)
Anyway, given she has lived with a dog pack her entire life and she's now moved in with me (Single person, cat, occasional dog-friend visits) she has to learn to play with humans.
I figured if I just acted overly enthused over the slightest effort she gave me towards playing she'd pick up on it pretty fast.
No dice.
I'll throw a toy, she'll lumber (because she's a pretty big puppy) over to the toy, casually pick it up, lumber back over to me and lay down as if it was the most physically exhausting task.

I've tried fetch, letting her chase me, walks, hide and seek, tug, and wrestling. She finds no enjoyment out of any of them. We have soft stuffed animal toys, plastic bottles, empty toilet paper rolls, kong balls, tennis balls, bones, things to tug on, things that squeak... the majority of almost everything. I don't leave them out all the time so she doesn't get bored with them. But she still wont play with me, with them. She will chew on them sometimes on her own, but when I try and play with her she just assumes I want the toy and gives it to me.

She walks really well on leash, and I even take her off leash at the farm, she's always glued to my side.
She just likes sleeping, cuddling, being petting, eating snow outside, or whining for dog friends and out of boredom.
But I don't know how to entertain her. :doh:

I would like to be able to play fetch with her before I got to work in the morning so she gets to romp and play and actually do something before I crate her again, besides going for a walk.

Any suggestions? Words of encouragement?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
She is acting older than her months isn't she? Ginger didn't play for a week or so after she arrived but she is maybe 5 years old and had just been spayed. Max and Sassy played right away and they were both somewhat less than a year old when they came here.

If you just got her then maybe she needs a couple days to weeks to get used to her new home the way Ginger needed some time.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your answers!
I got her about a week ago.
And she's relaxed in every other aspect except playing she seems to be acting quite serious with humans and playful and gentle to other animals.
Definitely acting older than her age.
She sleeps through the night, walks well on the leash, doesn't cry when alone, chew on anything inappropriately, gets along with all dogs, cats, small creatures, isn't afraid of people and is pretty good at obedience when I can keep her attention.

I actually haven't tried a Flirt Pole so that's a good suggestion for when we get a couple warmer days when the snow isn't just intense hard ice.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey just an update,
I used one of my cats broken toys (a plastic rod with a flexible cord that the jingle toy on the end came off) and tied one of her favourite stuffed animals to it.
Kind of like a makeshift flirt pole concept. She loved it, we just played with it in the living room for twenty minutes until she walked off panting and laying on the cool floor.
I think we found her THING.
THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yayy! Glad you found something!

My old hound didn't play at all. He had no interest in toys or wrestling whatsoever. Some dogs just like to find their own entertainment I guess (he mostly likes to flush out rabbits on the golf course).

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
That's exactly how Abilene was when we adopted her! She was an adult (about 5 years old), but wasn't really interested in toys are playing at all. Then we tried a flirt pole and she LOVED it! Ever since then she's been much more interested in her toys and will play more 'typical' games of fetch and things like that! Have fun! :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, now I can get her amped up with her temporary flirt pole enough so that she will go fetch a ball and bring it back for me! She's getting it :)

My old hound didn't play at all. He had no interest in toys or wrestling whatsoever. Some dogs just like to find their own entertainment
I just figured given she's a puppy she would enjoy some goofy playing. She's a very serious puppy hahaha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts