Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 4 year old 6lbs papillon that has tartar build up on his teeth. Trying to avoid another dental and anesthesia, I was reading a lot about raw food, I decided to introduce Raw Meaty Bones to my dog's diet. He eats mostly Acana kibble and gets canned food once a day of various variety.
Unfortunately, he decided that it is somehow not a food he is willing to even try.

I fasted the dog for 24 hours. I froze the chicken wings first, then thawed one overnight in the fridge. Gave it to the dog in his crate, and after sniffing at it, he laid there for 2 hours not touching it.

So how do I go about actually getting my dog to try these delicious raw meaty bones to help with his teeth?

I bought an entire pack of chicken wings, and have pork necks too.

Please help, thank you!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Try just meat at first. Sneak it into his kibble/canned. He needs to learn that this new substance is actual food. Bones can be puzzling to a dog who doesn't know what to do with them, LOL. Beef seems to be better liked than chicken (I prefer beef ribs for teeth cleaning).

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
My food crazed Beagle wouldn't touch RMBs at first either. Thankfully, I discovered that if I held the bone and let her sniff it then she would start chewing on it.. eventually I could leave it on the ground and she would eat it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I started my Toy Fox Terrier on raw with a chicken wing the day he came home at 8 weeks and he knew what to do right away. He could chew the bones at first but by the end of the week was gnawing the ends off. Maybe try cutting some of the meat into strips on the bone. That way he may be able to smell the meat and start tearing at it.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Papillons are notoriously picky eaters. My oldest looked at me like I was crazy when I started her on raw. She does better with small boneless chunks and ground to start off with then we've progressed a bit to adding in other things like bones. At first I had to hold them for her to even attempt. I've also seen it recommended to sear the outside of the meat for them, which did help a bit. I had to pretty much cut her off from anything else to eat because she would always at first wait for the other food.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You might try heating a frying pan and dropping the meat into it just until it starts to smell good and take it out right away so it has a stronger and more familiar smell. It will be cool through out and warm where you seared it, not browned much. Or smearsomething he likes on it and if he licks the good stuff off he might lick the chicken as well. Parmesan cheese is often mentioned for this.

Max is raw fed and was unsure about the rabbit heads I bought. I played with it, pulling it away from him so he focused on it and pounced. I really wanted him to eat those things!

Max isn't particularly fond of chicken skin, you could try removing it.

You could try smashing the bones with a mallet or hammer if he is baffled by the bones. Bone marrow is very tasty and if the bone is broken up he may get the idea. You would break the bones of the next wing less and continue as he gets the hang of it.

Good news is you can keep the refused food for a while and try a different approach daily! Just wash it off and put it back into the refrigerator in an uncovered container. Meat exposed to air stays fresh longer than meat that is closely covered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts