Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought a new possible foster dog home yesterday, he has zero off switch of his own. If he's not crated he's bouncing off the walls into everything. I'm hoping part of that is just the excitement of being in a home environment vs. the shelter but he could just be that crazy.

He does okay in the crate for the most part but long term I need him to chill without being crated. Part of his perpetual motion machine madness is harassing Jubel trying to get him to play. Zero aggression just bratty adolescent dog "play with me!" that just gets more riled up when Jubel corrects him telling him to back off.

Yesterday he had tons of physical exercise, today I'm going to work on a fair amount of mental exercise as well. Already started with a dispensing toy for breakfast which he figured out pretty well and getting him used to the stairs. Had to carry him upstairs for bed last night because I didn't realize it was an issue until I wanted to go to sleep. Two repetitions and he's already almost over it.

So yeah, need games to help me work on a settle without having to be confined. I'm giving him a week to show decent improvement or he isn't going to work out. To much micro management and stress if I have to be constantly on him when he isn't crated. Seems to be a smart boy but no one really put much time into training him it seems. Though he does appear to be housebroken (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Personally, I'd keep him tethered to me at all times indoors to prevent running & other wild-child activities. I'd also spend time working on the 'Do Nothing' game:
http://www.traintoadopt.com/the-nothing-exercise
and working general impulse control into every single activity and game I engaged in with him. I'd also provide long-lasting chew toys (Nylabones, etc...) that can burn up nervous/excited energy while he just lays down quietly. Interactive food toys are good, but sometimes that just encourages more heightened activity during the meals as they chase & roll the toy around.

Numerous short sessions of hard physical exercise, interspersed with down-time would be preferable (IMO) rather than marathon sessions of aerobic activity in an attempt to 'wear him out'.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He doesn't seem to know what to do with toys/chews. I gave him a nylabone in the crate yesterday and a kong squeeze no interest in either. Tried to play with him with the kong squeeze prior squeaking it and dragging it along the ground. He's interested just no clue what to do. Won't take it from me, I toss it and he goes after it but just sniffs and comes back to me. Similar with the small joy ball but I did get a bit of playing out of him with the jolly ball.

I wasn't full scale do nothing game with him yesterday but I did some similar stuff. He wasn't tethered to me but I was rewarding his good behavior with attention. There was no calm and settled behavior to reward. I'll try some with him tethered. But the article does apply to him in that he thinks when he is loose in the presence of anyone it's play time.

·
Registered
412 Posts
He might learn what to do with toys/chews as he starts to develop an attention span. You could try a longer lasting consumable like a cow ear or bully stick while he's tethered to get him started with laying down & focusing on something. Might help him get the idea?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He might learn what to do with toys/chews as he starts to develop an attention span. You could try a longer lasting consumable like a cow ear or bully stick while he's tethered to get him started with laying down & focusing on something. Might help him get the idea?
That would cause issues with my own dog. I'd need bully sticks for both and my guy goes though them in minutes, then he'd want the other one. Jubel would bitch and moan if I put him in another room, with or without my brother with him. Whatever I do MOST of it need to be able to be done in the presence of my dog.

Just did a short "do nothing" session and rewarded the third rep of laying down with the nylabone, he's now chewing it calmly. We'll see how long that lasts but it's a good step. He's going to nibble and scratch me up good for a while I'm sure, going to get looks about the bruises.

Settling on his own is the goal but self entertaining is also a big bonus along the way. Right now Jubel has decided he's too crazy to want to play with him but is he calms down a touch I think they'll get there. Hopefully we'll get a little monkey see monkey do with seeing Jubel settle and get loved on. Jealousy can work wonders.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I do the same thing but call it "sit on the dog". It worked well for Watson and I still bring it out in situations where he can't settle.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So he's still a nut ball and needs more work but damn he's made huge progress in the last two day. A lot of the work we've been doing is all starting to click with him at the same time. If you'd asked me on Tuesday the likelihood of him staying as a long term foster dog I would have said very slim. After last night his chances of getting to stay are looking pretty good. He still really wants to harass Jubel and I have to be on top of that but sometimes I see him head towards Jubel, stop and turn to something else as he made the conscious decision NOT to annoy him.

So yeah he's starting to make good choices on his own and listen to redirection. It's not as good as I'd like but for just under a week of working with him he's doing great. I'll have to see if last night was a fluke and he's horrible tonight but it's looking possible for him to stay now. If he gets to stay he'll get a foster dog thread.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Yay! That's great! He probably just needs a little time to settle in and learn the rules and then he'll be fine. Sounds like he's picking it up quickly.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay! That's great! He probably just needs a little time to settle in and learn the rules and then he'll be fine. Sounds like he's picking it up quickly.
Yeah, if he was just bothering me it wouldn't be such an issue. Sure it'd annoy me but I signed up for the fostering thing and the obnoxious dog phase is part of it. What made/makes his position of staying as a foster a question is making Jubel upset. Jubel did NOT sign up for this, he's doing well putting up with this crazy boy but he is NOT happy about it. Let both dogs out to potty last night and Marty got the zoomies. In the process of racing around the yard he took a flying leap at Jubel who was standing out of the way next to the deck box. Marty flew into Jubel's side paws first, slamming Jubel into the deck box and onto the ground. Jubel was so "WTF just happened" he didn't do anything but get up, shake it off and make his way to the door to be let back inside. But I have to worry about one of them getting hurt from crazy stuff like that. It's all fun and games to Marty but some of his ideas of "fun" can result in injury.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Yeah, if he was just bothering me it wouldn't be such an issue. Sure it'd annoy me but I signed up for the fostering thing and the obnoxious dog phase is part of it. What made/makes his position of staying as a foster a question is making Jubel upset. Jubel did NOT sign up for this, he's doing well putting up with this crazy boy but he is NOT happy about it. Let both dogs out to potty last night and Marty got the zoomies. In the process of racing around the yard he took a flying leap at Jubel who was standing out of the way next to the deck box. Marty flew into Jubel's side paws first, slamming Jubel into the deck box and onto the ground. Jubel was so "WTF just happened" he didn't do anything but get up, shake it off and make his way to the door to be let back inside. But I have to worry about one of them getting hurt from crazy stuff like that. It's all fun and games to Marty but some of his ideas of "fun" can result in injury.
Yeah, Hazel is basically that way with Watson right now and I feel bad for him sometimes. Sure, sometimes he enjoys it, but sometimes he just wants to come to me for pets and doesn't want her body slamming him and climbing on his head. But she's younger than Marty so I have hope that some day Watson will decide she's old enough to be corrected. She's also half Watson's weight so she can't knock him over or anything.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, Hazel is basically that way with Watson right now and I feel bad for him sometimes. Sure, sometimes he enjoys it, but sometimes he just wants to come to me for pets and doesn't want her body slamming him and climbing on his head. But she's younger than Marty so I have hope that some day Watson will decide she's old enough to be corrected. She's also half Watson's weight so she can't knock him over or anything.
Jubel has no issues giving Marty corrections... Marty just doesn't get/care that the correction means "knock it the F off", Marty thinks it's a wonderful game of make the other dog roar and chase me. And yeah, Marty is just a bit bigger than Jubel. Taller and heavier so the body slamming and such is a bit concerning. Jubel ALMOST seems to be playing with him sometimes but anytime he seems to relax and play a bit Marty slams him and it's not fun anymore. Jubel likes rough play but this level of body slamming is too much.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm beyond shocked, Marty got a very good application at the adoption event today. So might not bother with a foster thread for him but will add some pictures here later. Text below copy and pasted from Facebook.

So most people love Marty when they meet him because he LOVES people. Can't get enough attention, melts into you loving every second of pets he gets. So I spent a fair amount of time today telling people yes he's a big mush with a wonderful temperament but he's a work in progress right now. Needs a decent amount of training before he won't be an obnoxious pest. Huge potential but he will be a project to get there. Properly deters everyone.

Well a couple comes up near the end of the event asking if this is Marty, they had already applied for him online and wanted to meet him a few weeks ago but the scheduling didn't work out. The wife had apparently gone home and cried about missing him and prayed no one else would adopt him if it was meant to be until they could meet him. So huge expectation before even meeting the dog in person. I give them the same spiel about work in progress etc. They say perfect they want a young dog who needs work that they can mold and train.

Talked a fair amount and sat in on their interviews and I think it will work out really well. They understand what they are getting into and already fell in love with him.

Will be two weeks before they are ready for him, husband is going out of town for a business trip and they want both of them to be home when Marty first comes home. That just happens to be the start of the weekend I'm leaving on vacation so the timing couldn't be more perfect.

Don't want to jinx it but everything looks really good. I'm shocked, I thought I was going to end up with another fairly long term foster and he might be tied for my shortest foster if everything works out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts