Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Collie / Golden Retriever mix (http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...37531066_n.jpg),

and we recently got a Shetland Sheepdog Sheltie/Australian Shepherd Mix can be seen here:
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Shetland Sheepdog Sheltie | Marietta, GA | WINSTON

Shetland mix is about 1.5 yrs older,

and Collie mix is about 1/2 a year old.

The problem is they are in the same house, and dont' fight all the time, but once the Collie mix starts sniffing the Shetland mix, the shetland mix gets rough and tries to fight.

The shetland mix sniffs the collie mix without any problems.

The shelter doesn't know anything about the history of the Shetland mix dog.

Any idea what I can do here to make them get along?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Walk them briskly together for about 45 min twice a day for a week. I'd say to try to continue it, but I realize scheduling can be hard so at least do it once a day after that. Don't let them stop and sniff...just walk fast. They'll bond during the walk.

Also, keep toys and food picked up, to eliminate fights until they have bonded and you know they aren't going to start fights over food/toys.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, do the walking thing.
I babysit my friend's dogs all the time and some of them don't get along (My friends have some dog aggressive dogs) and I tried to walk thing and it worked perfectly! It's easier with two people. Have the more aggressive one walk behind and the more laid back, calmer one in front so that the more aggressive one can get the scent of the other one the whole time. And then after, when they've calmed down on a walk, switch so the calmer dog gets the scent. This has worked great for me!

My friend's pit bull, who wanted to kill my dogs at first, is totally fine. I'm actually baby sitting him right now (four dogs...yikes) but, they are just playing and having a great time. They love to sleep together and are just great. No problems.
But, he was really really aggressive so I walked them around for a bit longer, about an hour - hour and a half, with my sister and her dogs.
Seriously...the walk thing works! Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts