Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I really need some help with my dogs!

Our two original dogs are a 10 year old female German Shepherd mix and a 10 year old male border collie/mutt, both altered. We recently adopted an 11 year old female dog, also spayed, although we're not quite sure of the breed (she's the same size as our other 2, about 50 pounds). When we adopted her they said she could be a bit impatient with dogs, and to watch them all closely. We introduced them to her separately on neutral ground while on leash and it all went well at first. She got a little upset with my male dog because he was right in her face, but she sneered and he backed off and it was fine. We thought for a while that she would be the alpha dog because my shepherd was scared of her. However, on Saturday, my female dog (who was formerly the alpha dog) and the new dog bumped into each other over a dropped piece of chicken, and my German Shepherd went crazy and went after her and we had to separate them. There was no blood shed on either side so we're not sure if anyone actually got bitten, but it was frightening. They shepherd accidentally broke free and went after her again, so I took the shepherd for a walk so that she could calm down and my mom stayed with the new dog. They didn't fight the rest of the night, but the new dog was scared and the Shepherd kept watching our new dog the whole night. This morning, my mother was petting our boy dog, and the new dog walked over to get attention and the boy dog got very upset and went after her. She was very very upset and we had to pet her and hug her to calm her down, and of course when we left they were separated. So I guess my main question is, is this a matter of an aggression issue, or is this how dogs sort out dominance? Will I constantly have to worry about them going after her and her being traumatized, or should we let them work it out and things will get better? Finally, how should we handle it when these issues occur? I plan to consult a dog trainer, but for the next couple of days I want to know how to proceed. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Try walking them all on leashes together, briskly for about 25 min twice a day. It will help them bond. But keep them separated when feeding treats/playing with toys or when you can't supervise. They may get better after a while, but don't risk leaving them alone together yet.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sounds like resource guarding over food and your mother. I have never dealt with resource guarding, but there should be a ton of discussions on it if you do a search. Hopefully someone will chime in with a bit more advice.

Kudos to taking in an old girl, though. Most times they are overlooked. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts