Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So, I have this problem now.

We've trained our dog to poo/pee on a newspaper in the corner of our kitchen.

However, recently she frequently makes accidents. Usually she pees/poos on the floor near the newspaper but not on it.

What I'm trying to do is to keep a close watch on her so she does not go in other rooms, then I tie her with a leash and walk her to the newspaper every like 4 hours.

The problem is she NEVER poos/pees while being watched.

Once it took over 10 hours of her holding her bladder and I took her to the paper, but she still would not do it.

What can I do here?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
Going potty on pads or in one small, specific area is often difficult and confusing for dogs. Many struggle with it because they don't understand the difference between newspaper/pad/carpet/rugs. Is there a reason you can't take her outside to potty? That would be the easiest fix. "Go outside" is easier for dogs than "go in this one specific spot on this one specific material". If you absolutely can't take her outside, increasing the size of her potty area or giving her a litter box of sorts so the potty area is clearly defined would be my next step.

Have you scolded her for having an accident in the wrong spot? Scolding makes them think going potty in front of us is bad, not that going in the wrong spot is bad. This could be a possible cause for her not going potty when being watched. And sometimes dogs just don't like to potty while being watched.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
138 Posts
I agree with the above. I'll also add that while dogs will often return to the same spot to potty, if that spot becomes "overwhelmed" with pee or poop or even the odor, they will start to move out from that spot. So make sure you arereplacing the newspaper frequently and cleaning up underneath the newspaper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with both the above posts and will add that as long as you are allowing her to go potty in the house on newspaper or pee pads or anything else you will not be able to train her not to go in other places if she wants to. I am 100% opposed to pee pads because it gives the entirely wrong impression to the dog. My best advice is throw out that idea and start over to train her to go outside to potty.

And, if she is never doing it in front of you I will hazard a guess that she has been scolded for going in the wrong place. The result of that kind of scolding is that she doesn't know what she is scolded for, that it is for peeing in the wrong place rather than for peeing at all. Most dogs who are scolded will just sneak off and do it where they cannot be seen because they think that is the right solution to being scolded.

To have her hold it for 10 hours without having taken her outside to relieve herself is wrong. In that time she should have been taken outside to potty numerous times. It is clear from what you are saying that she wants to go outside to potty. Take her out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts