Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I have a mutt and finding that ideal weight is hard....she is also a living garbage disposal. We have to be real careful (vet said she could be prone to obesity being that she is....well lazy and hard to motivate) We give her two walks a day (that does not include play time and potty breaks (where she also gets a long walk down to the potty area)

She stayed at a steady 22 pounds for about 4 months and then in the last month she jumped up to 25 pounds. And she is looking a little plump in areas...but that could also have to do with that our walks have gotten a bit shorter since the cold set in (but we have been having her chase the lazer light too)

it could be that we are feeding a better food.

My question is how do you find that ideal weight for a mutt?

My girl is roughly 11 months old but may be closer to a year

thanks

You can't see any ribs and you can slightly feel the ribcage....also she is quite muscular so that could be some of the weight I didn't factor that in (she is as strong as an ox....okay so I'm exaggerating but she is pretty strong for such a little dog.....but like I said she is starting to look a little plump in areas and I want to address it incase it because a problem.....what should I look for to know if she develops a weight problem....other than the rib thing)

Here is a picture:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't know if the same method can be applied to other breeds but on a Great Dane you technically want to be able to feel an outline of all the ribs relatively easily through the fur and the back two should be somewhat visible to the naked eye.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if the same method can be applied to other breeds but on a Great Dane you technically want to be able to feel an outline of all the ribs relatively easily through the fur and the back two should be somewhat visible to the naked eye.

I know that method and I use it but like I asked I'm looking for other signs I need to look for

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know that method and I use it but like I asked I'm looking for other signs I need to look for
Usually for me I can tell just from taking a quick glance at the dog. If the dog has a lack of vigor, ect. I guess that's another way to tell that it's overweight.

From the picture, your pup looks fine to me. I wouldn't worry too much, a pound here or there isn't cause for concern. Trust me, if your dog puts too much weight on you'll notice, you just do. :D

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks.....it just is hard to tell....for a dog that was supposedly going to be no more than 15 pounds full grown we were thrown for a loop (even had to move she ended up being over the weight limit) so not having a mutt before we just weren't sure and my husband was getting concerned

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I can just eyeball all mine...if one looks to be putting on the lbs...I cut back the food or treats..(of course with my pug its a never ending battle)....:D

w/the Boston and the APBT I like to see a little rib w/muscle and a well defined waist.

My APBT is probably more on the chunky side (then a lot of pit people keep them) now but we are starting to train for weight pull so I have no doubt she will slim down

Okay thanks.....it just is hard to tell....for a dog that was supposedly going to be no more than 15 pounds full grown we were thrown for a loop (even had to move she ended up being over the weight limit) so not having a mutt before we just weren't sure and my husband was getting concerned
its hard to tell w/mixes when they are pups to accurately tell how big they are going to be...especially when there is more then 2 breeds in the mix.....

she looks pretty good to me....I know a lot of dogs that put on some weight in the winter so that might be the cause of an extre pound or two

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.