Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine currently has an older Aussie. She and her husband are thinking of getting another one. My friend asked me about how to find a dog from a breeder who concentrates more on working dogs rather than conformation only. I'm not asking for breeder recommendations (unless you know a good one in the California/Nevada region). Instead, I'd like ideas on where they should start to look for a breeder. Is there a club or association that they can check out? Or is there a website where they can look up Aussie events?

TIA for any suggestions

·
Registered
334 Posts
What kind of work? herding? agility? etc? I would ask specifically what their intention is with a new pup--and try to find organizations that specialize in what they are interested in. Then from there, they can perhaps find a dog through that avenue.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
My suggestions would be ASCA and Workingaussiesource as well. I know California is a big state, but there are a lot of Aussie clubs and events in California. They might want to find some stock dog trials to go watch. Many of the dogs you'll see there are also real ranch dogs, not just trial dogs, and the people at these events tend to be friendly and approachable.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
My suggestions would be ASCA and Workingaussiesource as well. I know California is a big state, but there are a lot of Aussie clubs and events in California. They might want to find some stock dog trials to go watch. Many of the dogs you'll see there are also real ranch dogs, not just trial dogs, and the people at these events tend to be friendly and approachable.
Depends on the stockdog trial you attend. I've attended one or two and have also heard others say that you're likely to find nothing but BC's there. If there's a specific stockdog trial for Aussies (does ASCA put these on?), that would be an awesome place to start.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Depends on the stockdog trial you attend. I've attended one or two and have also heard others say that you're likely to find nothing but BC's there. If there's a specific stockdog trial for Aussies (does ASCA put these on?), that would be an awesome place to start.
I was referring to ASCA trials (therefore the mention of Aussie clubs and events). Though you will certainly see some BCs there as well. ASCA offers a variety of levels and courses on sheep, ducks and cattle to all herding breeds. They have arena trials, farm trials and ranch trials. AHBA (once you get past the instinct testing) has some nice offerings too.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I was referring to ASCA trials (therefore the mention of Aussie clubs and events). Though you will certainly see some BCs there as well. ASCA offers a variety of levels and courses on sheep, ducks and cattle to all herding breeds. They have arena trials, farm trials and ranch trials. AHBA (once you get past the instinct testing) has some nice offerings too.
Just didn't want them to be disappointed if they went to something billed as a "stockdog trial" only to realize that there weren't any Aussies there. The ones I've been to are open to all breeds, but it's just a sea of black and white.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Just didn't want them to be disappointed if they went to something billed as a "stockdog trial" only to realize that there weren't any Aussies there. The ones I've been to are open to all breeds, but it's just a sea of black and white.
What organization?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts