Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying no dogs were lost in the making of this post.

I was on Reddit and read this, and I wanted to see if anyone here had used this technique (either successfully or not) and just share it. I figure, the more different ideas out there to help people find their lost dogs the better, right?

The dog owner(s) should take an article of clothing that has been worn at least all day, the longer the better, so the lost dog can pick up the scent. Bring the article of clothing to the location where the dog was last seen and leave it there. Also, if the dog has a crate & familiar toy, you can bring those too (unless location undesirable for crate). You might also want to leave a note requesting item(s) not to be moved.

Leave a bowl of water there too, as the dog probably hasn't had access to any. Do not bring food as this could attract other animals that the dog might avoid.
Come back the next day, or check intermittently if possible. Hopefully the dog will be waiting there.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If the dog got lost somewhere far far away from his home (different town, etc.), that could be a good technique. But I think that most dogs would try to get home if they were lost somewhere not terribly far away.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I've heard about that before.

I have read that dogs have a "smell" memory that they remember where they've been by their nose. I walk Zoey around the neighborhood with that in mind in case she ever gets out. Of course once she hits a busy street or goes past the areas I have walked - all bets are off.

The AKC CAR program (it now has another name) has an alert system that can be activated if your dog gets lost - it goes out to anyone on AKC CAR around the area where the dog was lost. A great idea but in reality you would need to be part of the AKC system to get the alert. It would be great if all the microchip companies could link together for the purpose of recovery, there could be 4 to 5 times more people looking for a lost dog.

Of course I had an opportunity to use the AKC CAR when an alert went out and I would rate it as a F- ... really bad - I called and said I spotted the dog, tried to get it but maybe the owners can come to my neighborhood and try to call his name to retrieve him. I was told by the person - I shouldn't approach a strange dog (we really don't have strays here) and to call animal control ... I asked why they couldn't call the owners of the dog just to alert them where the dog was - they just wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I do understand that the leaving of food can be helpful, if not essential for the dog. There are some problems with it though. First off, it can create false alarms. I watched someone insist on following up on what was a false alarm....it created a lot of false hope and was sad....it turned out the dog was across town and it misdirected the search for quite some time. Other animals may get the food, and if the food is gone people tend to assume it was the dog they are looking for that took it. Also, with other animals coming for food that was left out, and being attracted to it, may cause the animal that is being searched for to be scared off depending on the types of wild animals in the area that may be attracted. I do think though that using food if the animal is definitely in the area can be good, and especially good if the food is being watched from a distance to see if the dog does show up, a great thing if it is confirmed the dog is coming to an area habitually to get food and a live trap can be used (this is assuming the dog is skittish and runs off from humans....).

One of the best things I'm noticing is the use of social media to help find lost pets. In our community there is one main group for finding lost pets, and occasionally a secondary group will be formed for searches for specific animals. Facebook "lost pets" groups have been proving to help lots of people find their pets that would have likely been permanently lost otherwise. I've seen full scale searches of dozens of people staged over facebook with constant, real time communication happening within the group. One major downside is that there ARE nut jobs out there, for instance those who want to "be the hero". I saw this happen as well. They found the dog and continued to post "sightings" and misdirect others for a day or so until they reported finding the dog. It almost destroyed the group, it did turn me off of assisting them for quite a while (though I did go on my own and do some searching, I did not look to them for any reliable assistance until I was sure that the individual in question was completely uninvolved). Since the group has now grown though people don't seem to be doing this disgusting false reporting. False reports end up being simply that now.

Something I have been considering is that there are tags a person can get to attach to items (though I don't see why attaching to a dog's collar wouldn't work!), that helps to locate the lost item. There are kinds that are made specifically for pets, but honestly, the prices seem to be inflated in comparison to other kinds of similar tags that aren't for pets. Though they are still cheaper and smaller than an all-out "gps collar". Some are bluetooth, or whatever, and have a short range, others only activate if scanned. Some involve a cell phone SIM card that does require a (minimal) plan to allow for basic data transfer. I haven't done serious research into these, but they do seem like something worth looking into if I were in a situation if say Caeda was a "door dasher", or whatever.

There is also something I have read about a bit, but haven't acted on. Training dogs to track other animals. I'm very tempted to try this with Caeda. She successfully identified the area a lost dog was in after I gave her an item to smell, but she unfortunately lost the track, and lacking true training on it I'm not sure how truly effective she would be in the actual follow through on the trail. She has tracked our cats before, but she knew them specifically, I'm not sure how tracking an unknown animal would go either.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The only problem with any device that sends out radio waves is the battery life of the transmitter. If the dog gets out and the battery is fully charged then you'll have hours of transmit time - cell phones that transmit all the time will have about 6 to 8 hours of transmit time - plenty of time if you had a fully charged battery and you realized that your dog is gone - door dasher. If the battery is weak or the dog has been out for a while there may not be enough time to locate the dog before the battery dies.

With cell phone technology the ability to triangulate the position is very accurate.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Make sure your poster includes your name, phone number, and address.
I don't think I would ever put my address on a lost pet poster. I think chances are too high for harassment.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The only problem with any device that sends out radio waves is the battery life of the transmitter.
I did see one online that has solar power recharging called HayTag , unfortunately they only work for iPhones (I'm an Android user).
you are right though, battery is an issue. I'm used to keeping e collars charged as a matter of daily routine, but most people aren't.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I did see one online that has solar power recharging called HayTag , unfortunately they only work for iPhones (I'm an Android user).
you are right though, battery is an issue. I'm used to keeping e collars charged as a matter of daily routine, but most people aren't.
If it works as they say it seems like it would be great for tracking a dog but it has a very short distance less then 3/4 of a mile. I guess roaming neighborhoods (city or town) in a car and getting a large area covered could work. I may keep them in mind as it really isn't too expensive to try.

It seems that it's a startup company and they have failed to meet their expected delivery date for the Iphone - it would be nice to see a few reviews on the setup.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do understand that the leaving of food can be helpful, if not essential for the dog. There are some problems with it though. First off, it can create false alarms. I watched someone insist on following up on what was a false alarm....it created a lot of false hope and was sad....it turned out the dog was across town and it misdirected the search for quite some time. Other animals may get the food, and if the food is gone people tend to assume it was the dog they are looking for that took it. Also, with other animals coming for food that was left out, and being attracted to it, may cause the animal that is being searched for to be scared off depending on the types of wild animals in the area that may be attracted. I do think though that using food if the animal is definitely in the area can be good, and especially good if the food is being watched from a distance to see if the dog does show up, a great thing if it is confirmed the dog is coming to an area habitually to get food and a live trap can be used (this is assuming the dog is skittish and runs off from humans....). .
I totally agree - leaving food out might attract the dog, but it is more likely to cause a whole host of other problems. But the quote that I posted also says specifically Do not bring food as this could attract other animals that the dog might avoid. so I'm not sure where you were going with this?

The solar powered radio tags are a very interesting idea, and would probably be very helpful in the first few hours that a dog was lost. On the other hand, I wonder how well they would work for long-haired dogs. Would there be enough light-penetration through all the fur to charge the battery?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I totally agree - leaving food out might attract the dog, but it is more likely to cause a whole host of other problems. But the quote that I posted also says specifically Do not bring food as this could attract other animals that the dog might avoid. so I'm not sure where you were going with this?

The solar powered radio tags are a very interesting idea, and would probably be very helpful in the first few hours that a dog was lost. On the other hand, I wonder how well they would work for long-haired dogs. Would there be enough light-penetration through all the fur to charge the battery?
I read the FAQ and according to the company that the longest hair dog lets enough light through to recharge the system. According to the company the system has enough "battery life" for 3 days and it only takes minutes to fully charge in direct sunlight. Sounds good what they were saying but I would like to see real reviews of the device.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I do know one owner who did purchase the gps collar for her dog. She has a JRT and it escaped her yard. It was found the next day laying alongside a road. It had gotten hit by a car and could not move due to some broken bones. I can not tell you if the collar works or not because the dog is still recovering and has not made an attempt at running away. Also, they did get another dog which the first dog is absolutely in love with and will not leave the 2nd dog at all.

I know of another person who set up trail cams to find out where her dog was. They finally put out a live animal trap and finally caught the dog a couple of weeks after it took off The trail cams helped because it did show the dog coming back and eating the food and sleeping on the blanket with the owner's scent. The trouble was this owner only had her for a month when a dog transporter let go of the flexi leash, which scared the dog and she took off. The dog was being transported from a kennel dog to going to a home. She was frightened of everything. So in this case trail cams helped the most in such a remote area where dog sightings would be rare.

My sister lost her dog and placed an ad in the paper. She received a call and the caller said that she had the dog but needed my sister to send her some money for shipping fees. The dog would need to be shipped back to them because the finder was on her way out of town when she found the dog and took the dog with her. My sister did not send any money seeing the lady told her that she was on her way to the airport to go to Africa. my sister never did find her dog.

When of my dogs went missing I put ad and flyers up around the area and continued to place ads wherever there were calls about being spotted. I also contacted neighboring animal controls in the neighboring communities. I never thought my dog would travel 30 miles away in a totally different county and city Placing ads and contacting animal control helped in finding this dog

I think it all depends on the dog and the situation what would in finding the lost dog.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If the dog got lost somewhere far far away from his home (different town, etc.), that could be a good technique. But I think that most dogs would try to get home if they were lost somewhere not terribly far away.
I agree with you. While I'll do that, I would also post posters around and provide means to contact me, use social media to disseminate the information, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts