Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16week old choc lab. We had a check up at the vets a couple days ago and the vet said my dog is overweight. I do exercise her regularly. i have been feeding 4 health puppy formula. The back of the package says to feed 4-5 cups when the dog is between 30-40lbs. My pup is currently 38. So the vet recommenced i drop it to about 3 cups a day. So i did. my big question is how do i know if im feeding the right amount or over feeding? Since she is a puppy she will naturally grow so at what point should i up the amount i feed her? I feed twice a day, 1.5 cups each time.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'd recommend ignoring the 4Health bag feeding suggestions, they're pretty off.

I think the best way for you to figure how much to feed is just by the body condition of your puppy. She's probably a bit roly-poly right now, for the vet to find her overweight. Can you seen her ribs at all?

Pretty much, keep it at 3 cups a day for 1.5-2 weeks. Then, reassess. If your puppy is still pudgy, cut back a little more. If she looks good and lean, keep the amount the same and then add half a cup every 2 weeks after that.

Being overweight is VERY bad for a large breed, especially a large breed puppy. It's a serious situation that can lead to multiple health problems in the future. Labs have a tendency towards obesity, so I urge you to take this matter seriously, to exercise your puppy and to get her to a good body condition. Her future health really depends on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha i wouldnt say "roly poly". She is a bit tubby though. No you cant see any of the ribs. The vet did say she isnt too concerned at this point because my dog will soon hit a growth spert and will thin out. I have already cut back her food. Im just trying to get a idea on where to go in the future.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Haha i wouldnt say "roly poly". She is a bit tubby though. No you cant see any of the ribs. The vet did say she isnt too concerned at this point because my dog will soon hit a growth spert and will thin out. I have already cut back her food. Im just trying to get a idea on where to go in the future.
Yeah, not being able to see any ribs on a growing puppy definitely means changes need to be made, calorie-intake-wise, so I'm glad you're cutting back.

I'd think that after she hits her growth spurt and thins out slightly, you could add another half a cup to her daily intake.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would not ignore the feeding guidelines on the package, rather use it as a starting point as you apparently did and adjust from there. They are after all guidelines and not the gospel truth. Sounds like your vet has a good handle on it, I would follow your vets counsel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the feeding suggestions on most bags of food err towards feeding more than necessary. It's hard with puppies because the available dog food calculators aren't meant to be used to calculate puppies' amounts. It sounds like your vet has a good handle on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts